Dr Hao Xia BEng, MSc, PhD, FHEA, MAIAA
Senior Lecturer in Gas Turbine Aerothermal Engineering
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since 2014
Dr Xia joined Loughborough in 2014. He held research posts previously at the Whittle Lab (Cambridge) and the Osney Lab (Oxford), followed by taking up an academic post at the University of Sussex. His main research interests cover fluid flow modelling and simulation concerning understanding of flow-induced instability, noise, and heat transfer phenomena, commonly found in external and internal aerodynamic problems. Making use of high-performance parallel computing is an essential part of his approaches, especially in the new data era, when data-driven techniques potentially hold the key to step-changing our modelling capability.
- PGCertHE (Sussex 2013), PhD (University of Sheffield, 2006), MSc, BEng.
Key Awards and accomplishments
- Best Paper Award (co-author), ICCHMT 2019.
- 3rd Prize, 17th Osborne Reynolds Competition, ERCOFTAC UK, 2019, (supervisor).
- Research Informed Teaching Award (RiTA), Loughborough University, 2017.
- 2nd Prize, 4th Osborne Reynolds Competition, ERCOFTAC UK, 2006.
Outline of current research interests
- Turbulence Modelling & Simulation
- Computational Aeroacoustics
- Computational Thermofluids
- Machine Learning for Fluid Flows
- High End Computing (development & application)
External roles and appointments
- Academic Editor: International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ISSN 1687-5966
- Guest Editor: Aerospace, ISSN 2226-4310
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- External PhD examiner
- Chen, X, Krawciw, J, Xia, H, Denman, P, Bonham, C, Carrotte, J (2020) Study of an effusion-cooled plate with high level of upstream fluctuation, Applied Thermal Engineering, 184, 116126.
- Ellis, C and Xia, H (2020) Turbulent closure analysis in heated separated and reattached flow using eddy-resolving data, Physics of Fluids, 32(4), 045115.
- Moratilla-Vega, M, Lackhove, K, Janicka, J, Xia, H, Page, G (2020) Jet noise analysis using an efficient LES/high-order acoustic coupling method, Computers and Fluids, 199, 104438.
- Angelino, M, Xia, H, Page, G (2019) Influence of grid resolution on the spectral characteristics of noise radiated from turbulent jets: sound pressure fields and their decomposition, Computers and Fluids, 196.
Current teaching responsibilities
- Part B – Turbomachinery & Propulsion
- Part C – Introduction to CFD
- Part D – Aerospace CFD
Current administrative responsibilities
- Library liaison officer