Dr Hao Xia BEng, MSc, PhD, FHEA, MAIAA
Reader in Gas Turbine Aerothermal Engineering
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since 2014
Before moving to Loughborough in 2014, Hao was a lecturer in Computational Thermofluids at the University of Sussex. He held research posts previously at the Whittle Lab (Cambridge) and the Osney Lab (Oxford) soon after his PhD. His main research interests cover fluid flow modelling and simulation concerning understanding of flow-induced instability, noise, and heat transfer phenomena, commonly found in external and internal aerodynamic problems. Making use of high-performance parallel computing is an essential part of his approaches, especially in the current data era. Hao strongly believes data-driven techniques potentially hold the key to step-changing our modelling capability.
- PGCertHE, PhD, MSc.
Key Awards and accomplishments
- Best Paper Award (co-author), ICCHMT 2019.
- 3rd Prize, 17th Osborne Reynolds Competition, ERCOFTAC UK, 2019, (supervisor).
- Research Informed Teaching Award (RiTA), Loughborough University, 2017.
- 2nd Prize, 4th Osborne Reynolds Competition, ERCOFTAC UK, 2006.
Outline of current research interests
- Turbulence Modelling & Simulation
- Computational Aeroacoustics
- Computational Thermofluids
- Machine Learning for Fluid Flows
- High End Computing (development & application)
External roles and appointments
- Academic Editor: International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ISSN 1687-5966
- Guest Editor: Aerospace, ISSN 2226-4310
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- External PhD examiner
Angelino, M., Xia, H., Page, G.J. (2020) Influence of grid resolution on the spectral characteristics of noise radiated from turbulent jets: Sound pressure fields and their decomposition. Computers and Fluids, 196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2019.104343
Luckhurst, S., Varney, M., Xia, H., Passmore, M.A., Gaylard, A. (2019) Computational investigation into the sensitivity of a simplified vehicle wake to small base geometry changes. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, 185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.12.010
Chen, X., Xia, H. (2019) Hybrid LES-RANS study of an effusion cooling array with circular holes. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2018.09.014
Chen, X., Xia, H. (2017) A hybrid LES-RANS study on square cylinder unsteady heat transfer. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2016.10.081
Sinha, A., Gudmundsson, K., Xia, H., Colonius, T. (2016) Parabolized stability analysis of jets from serrated nozzles. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 789. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2015.719
Mohan, N.K.D., Dowling, A.P., Karabasov, S.A., Xia, H., Graham, O., Hynes, T.P., Tucker, P.G. (2015) Acoustic sources and far-field noise of chevron and round jets. AIAA Journal, 53(9). https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J052973
Xia, H. (2015) Turbulent jet characteristics for axisymmetric and serrated nozzles. Computers and Fluids, 110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2014.09.035
Current teaching responsibilities
- Part B – Turbomachinery & Propulsion
- Part C – Introduction to CFD
- Part D – Aerospace CFD
- MSc – Vehicle Aerodynamics
Current administrative responsibilities
- Library liaison officer
- Induction tutor
- Personal tutor