Dr Gang Zhou PhD
Senior Lecturer in Composite Aerospace Structures
Prior to becoming an academic, Gang worked as research associate on several government-funded research projects in both UK and USA.
- PhD 1988 University of Durham, Solid Mechanics
- Light Weight Structures
Research Interests, Experiences and Activities
- Mechanical characterisation, including tension, compression, in-plane & interlaminar shear & flexure.
- Development of test methods for mechanical properties
Advanced monolithic composite and sandwich structures:
- Material and structure design.
- Manufacturing, including autoclaving, vacuum bagging and hot pressing.
- Stress, structural and fracture mechanics analysis.
- Quasi-static and impact testing.
Damage characterisation and NDT:
- Destructive methods.
- No-destructive methods, including C-scanning and X-ray
Impact damage resistance and tolerance assessment:
- Impact damage resistance.
- Compression-after-impact (CAI) damage tolerance assessment.
- Development of CAI test methods.
Smart structures and structural health monitoring:
- Fibre optic strain sensors.
- Shape memory alloy wire actuators.
Finite element modelling and stress analysis:
- Quasi-static behaviour using NASTRAN, ABAQUS and NIKE.
- Impact response and penetration using LS-DYNA and FE77.
Current teaching responsibilities
- TTA202 Mechanics of Materials
- TTB204 Mechanics of Solids
- TTC054 Principles of Composite Materials & Structures
Zhou, G., Mikinka, E., Golding, J., Bao, X., Sun, W., Ashby, A. (2020) Investigation of thermal degradation and decomposition of both pristine and damaged carbon/epoxy samples with thermal history. Composites Part B: Engineering, 201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2020.108382
Zhou, G., Leung, H.L., Robinson, B., Zheng, C. (2019) New method for the evaluation of residual compressive strengths of sandwich panels via four-point bending. Mechanics of Materials, 136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmat.2019.103075
Grasso, M., Xu, Y., Ramji, A., Zhou, G., Chrysanthou, A., Haritos, G., Chen, Y. (2019) Low-velocity impact behaviour of woven laminate plates with fire retardant resin. Composites Part B: Engineering, 171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2019.04.023
Zhou, G., Zhang, B., Pasricha, A. (2017) A study of indentation behaviour of sandwich panels supported rigidly. International Journal of Structural Integrity, 8(4). https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSI-01-2016-0004