Dr Eve Zhang
Senior Lecturer in Digital Engineering
Yu (Eve) Zhang joined the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University as Senior Lecturer in Digital Engineering from September 2019.
Before joining in the AAE department at LU, she held various academic positions within the School of Engineering, University of Lincoln from 2011 to 2019.
Her main research activities include condition monitoring, fault diagnosis and the development of data analysis and machine learning techniques for industrial applications.
- PhD, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, 2011
- MSc, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, 2005
- BEng, School of Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2004
- Patent, Analysis Method for a Gas Turbine (WO2019166214), 2019
- EPSRC New Investigator Award, 2018
- RAEng Academic Champion, 2016
- Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering Prize, Nottingham, 2005
- Gammon Skanska Scholarship Award, Hong Kong, 2002
Current teaching responsibilities
- TTA001 Engineering Mechanics
- TTB208 Structural Design Project
- TTC201 Machine Intelligence
- TTC001, TTC003, TTD001, TTD010, TTP305 Final Year Projects
- TTI001 DIS Placement Tutor
- Personal Tutor
- Departmental Director of Doctoral Programmes
Outline of main research interests
- Condition Monitoring & Fault Diagnosis of Industrial Systems (e.g., composite structures, electric drives & gas turbines)
- Data-driven & Grey-box Modelling (e.g., batteries & fuel cells)
- Aerodynamic Design Optimisation (e.g., aeronautical & automotive)
- Data Mining, Pattern Recognition & System Identification
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Hearing
Grants and contracts
- Intelligent Acoustic Emission System for Industrial Process Monitoring, 2023, HEIF via EPG, PI.
- AI-powered Rail Asset Maintenance Predictor, 2022, Innovate UK via AKT2I, with Amygda Labs Ltd.
- Towards Machine Hearing-based Online Monitoring and Optimisation for Laser Shock Peening of Metallic Materials, 2022, EPSRC DSMN+, PI.
- Propulsion System Optimisation through Prediction and Machine Learning, 2020, APC ARMD, with Jaguar Land Rover.
- Aerodynamic Design Acceleration through Machine Learning, 2019, APC via IDE, with McLaren Automotive, CI.
- Evolutionary Virtual Expert System, 2018, EPSRC New Investigator Award.
- Dynamic Modelling of Industrial Gas Turbines for Fault Diagnosis, 2016, 2017, 2018, Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery, PI.
- Remote Condition Monitoring of Power Converters and Traction Drives for Railway Applications, 2017, Dynex Semiconductor, PI.
- Intelligent Sensor System for Engine Test of Industrial Gas Turbines, 2017, KTP, with Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery, Academic Supervisor.
- Gas Turbine Performance Diagnostics and Health Management, 2016, RAEng, Academic Champion.
- Machinery Diagnostic System, 2016, Lincoln, Research and Teaching Equipment.
- Research on Industrial Networks and Equipment Fault Diagnosis, International Cooperation Platform, 2016, Guangdong China, CI.
- The Development of a Dynamic Energy Control System for Food Retailing Refrigeration Systems, 2015, 2016, Innovate UK, CI.
Martínez-García, M., Zhang, Y., Suzuki, K. , Zhang, YD. (2020) Deep Recurrent Entropy Adaptive Model for System Reliability Monitoring. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, nan(nan). https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2020.3007152
Zhang, Y., Martínez-García, M., Kalawsky, R.S., Latimer, A. (2020) Grey-box modelling of the swirl characteristics in gas turbine combustion system. Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, 151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2019.107266
Martínez-García, M., Zhang, Y., Gordon, T. (2019) Memory Pattern Identification for Feedback Tracking Control in Human–Machine Systems. Human Factors, -. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018720819881008
Martínez-García, M., Zhang, Y., Gordon, T. (2016) Modeling Lane Keeping by a Hybrid Open-Closed-Loop Pulse Control Scheme. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 12(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2016.2619064
Maleki, S., Bingham, C., Zhang, Y. (2016) Development and Realization of Changepoint Analysis for the Detection of Emerging Faults on Industrial Systems. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 12(3). https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2016.2558181
Zhang, Y., Bingham, C., Yang, Z., Ling, B.W.-K., Gallimore, M. (2014) Machine fault detection by signal denoising - With application to industrial gas turbines. Measurement: Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, 58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2014.08.020
• Amygda Labs
• Dynex Semiconductor
• Siemens Energy
• Uniper UK
• Lancaster University
• Queen Mary University of London
• University of Leicester
• University of Lincoln