Dr Dan J O'Boy MEng, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Structural Dynamics
- Employment; Defence Evaluation and Research Agency, 1999 - 2001
- Employment; Research Associate at the University of Cambridge, 2005-2008
- Research Associate at Loughborough University, 2008-2012
- Lecturer in Structural Dynamics at Loughborough University, 2012 - 2019
- Senior Lecturer in Structural Dynamics at Loughborough University, 2019 - present
- MEng(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering; University of Bristol 1999
- PhD in Engineering; University of Cambridge 2005
- CEng Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (2009-2019)
Outline of main research interests:
- Tyre design for low vibration, noise and rolling resistance.
- Tyre tread block vibration coupled to exterior sound generation.
- Reduction of internal tyre cavity tones through modification to existing wheel designs.
- Tyre / road interaction noise (including design of porous road surfaces).
- Highly directional low frequency sound sources for compact warning devices.
- Application of self-tuning passive resonators to exhaust designs for weight reduction.
- Simulation of the dynamic instability of valve train components.
- Novel damping methods for plate vibrations and acoustic attenuation.
- Utrasonic wave propagation through inhomogeneous materials.
- Vibration characteristics of multilayer materials.
- Boundary element methods for acoustics.
- Stability of vehicles on moving platforms.
- Structural Dynamics and Acoustics
Current teaching responsibilities:
- TTA001 Engineering Mechanics (first year students) which includes statics and resolving forces.
- TTB207 Machine Elements (second year students). This includes work on failure of metal components due to fatigue.
- TTC040 Noise control (third year students) includes conducting ISO362 noise tests at MIRA proving ground.
- TTD007 Structural Vibration (fourth year students) which includes application of modal testing, experimental vibration measurements and characterisation
- TTD003 Automotive Group Project
- TTP302 Vehicle systems Analysis
O'Boy, D.J. (2020) Automotive wheel and tyre design for suppression of acoustic cavity noise through the incorporation of passive resonators. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2019.115037
Zennaro, M., O’Boy, D.J., Lowe, P.S., Gan, T.-H. (2019) Characterization and design improvement of a thickness-shear lead zirconate titanate transducer for low frequency ultrasonic guided wave applications. Sensors (Switzerland), 19(8). https://doi.org/10.3390/s19081848
Dowsett, A., O’Boy, D., Walsh, S., Abolfathi, A., Fisher, S. (2018) The prediction of measurement variability in an automotive application by the use of a coherence formulation. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 232(12). https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407017734768
Abolfathi, A., O’Boy, D.J., Walsh, S.J., Dowsett, A.M., Fisher, S.A. (2018) The uncertainty in stiffness and damping of an automotive vehicle’s trim-structure mounts and its effect on the variability of the vibration transfer function. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 232(15). https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406217721724
Abolfathi, A., O'Boy, D.J., Walsh, S.J., Fisher, S.A. (2017) Investigating the sources of variability in the dynamic response of built-up structures through a linear analytical model. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.10.007
Bekakos, C.-A., Papazafeiropoulos, G., O’Boy, D.J., Prins, J., Mavros, G. (2016) Off-road tire-terrain interaction: An analytical solution. SAE International Journal of Commercial Vehicles, 10(2). https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8029
O'Boy, D.J., Krylov, V.V. (2016) Vibration of a rectangular plate with a central power-law profiled groove by the Rayleigh-Ritz method. Applied Acoustics, 104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2015.10.018
- Reviewer for journal publications