Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering
Dr Dan J O'Boy
Senior Lecturer in Structural Dynamics
- Employment; Defence Evaluation and Research Agency, 1999 - 2001
- Employment; Research Associate at the University of Cambridge, 2005-2008
- Research Associate at Loughborough University, 2008-2012
- Lecturer in Structural Dynamics at Loughborough University, 2012 - 2019
- Senior Lecturer in Structural Dynamics at Loughborough University, 2019 - present
- MEng(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering; University of Bristol 1999
- PhD in Engineering; University of Cambridge 2005
- CEng Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
Outline of main research interests:
- Tyre design for low vibration, noise and rolling resistance.
- Tyre tread block vibration coupled to exterior sound generation.
- Reduction of internal tyre cavity tones through modification to existing wheel designs.
- Tyre / road interaction noise (including design of porous road surfaces).
- Highly directional low frequency sound sources for compact warning devices.
- Application of self-tuning passive resonators to exhaust designs for weight reduction.
- Simulation of the dynamic instability of valve train components.
- Novel damping methods for plate vibrations and acoustic attenuation.
- Utrasonic wave propagation through inhomogeneous materials.
- Vibration characteristics of multilayer materials.
- Boundary element methods for acoustics.
- Stability of vehicles on moving platforms.
- Structural Dynamics and Acoustics
Current teaching responsibilities:
- TTA001 Engineering Mechanics (first year students) which includes statics and resolving forces.
- TTB207 Machine Elements (second year students). This includes work on failure of metal components due to fatigue.
- TTC040 Noise control (third year students) includes conducting ISO362 noise tests at MIRA proving ground.
- TTD007 Structural Vibration (fourth year students) which includes application of modal testing, experimental vibration measurements and characterisation
- TTD003 Automotive Group Project
- TTP302 Vehicle systems Analysis
- Reviewer for journal publications
© 2019 Loughborough University. All rights reserved.