Dr Christopher Harvey MEng, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Structural Mechanics
Undergraduate Director of Studies
Christopher received his MEng degree in Aeronautical Engineering from Loughborough University in 2009, followed by his PhD from Loughborough University in 2012. Immediately following his PhD, he was employed as Lecturer in Structural Mechanics at Loughborough University in the Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering. Then in 2017 he was promoted to Senior Lecturer. He was also Programme Director of Aeronautical Engineering Undergraduate Courses from 2016 until 2021, when he became the Undergraduate Director of Studies. At present, his major research interests include the analytical, numerical and experimental aspects of interface fracture; the spallation mechanics of thermal barrier coatings and ultrasonically assisted drilling.
- PhD 2012, Loughborough University
- Thesis title: “Mixed-Mode Partition Theories for One-Dimensional Fracture”
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering 2009, Loughborough University
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority FHEA 2015
- Teaching Awards (Part A), Academic years 2015–16, and 2013–14
- PhD Rapid Completion Award 2012
- Science, Engineering and Technology Award 2009
Outline of main research interests:
- Fracture mechanics: Analytics, numerical simulation, and experimental test
- Mixed-mode fracture partitions
- Fracture initiation and propagation
- Mechanical performance of thin coatings
- Thermal barrier coating systems
- Graphene membrane adhesion
- Buckling and post-buckling
- Ultrasonically-assisted drilling of re-reinforced plastics
- Numerical simulation; Finite element method
- Digital image correlation
Grants and contracts:
- Direct Partition of Mixed-Mode Fractures Using Digital Image Correlation, 2014-2015, EPSRC
Current teaching responsibilities:
- TTP402 Body Engineering
- TTA003 Fluid Mechanics
- TTD009 Group Design Project
- TTC012 Spacecraft Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering BEng/MEng Final Year Project
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Programme Director for Aeronautical Engineering undergraduate courses
- Member of Welfare and Communications Committee for School of AACME
Yuan, B., Harvey, C.M., Thomson, R.C., Critchlow, G.W., Rickerby, D., Wang, S. (2019) Spontaneous formation and morphology of telephone cord blisters in thin films: The Ω formulae. Composite Structures, 225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.111108
Yuan, B., Harvey, C.M., Thomson, R.C., Critchlow, G.W., Rickerby, D., Wang, S. (2019) A new spallation mechanism of thermal barrier coatings and a generalized mechanical model. Composite Structures, 227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.111314
Harvey, C.M., Wang, B., Wang, S. (2017) Spallation of thin films driven by pockets of energy concentration. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2017.04.011
Wood, J.D., Harvey, C.M., Wang, S. (2017) Adhesion toughness of multilayer graphene films. Nature Communications, 8(1). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-017-02115-w
Wang, S., Harvey, C.M., Wang, B., Watson, A. (2015) Post-local buckling-driven delamination in bilayer composite beams. Composite Structures, 133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.08.012
Harvey, C.M., Wood, J.D., Wang, S. (2015) Brittle interfacial cracking between two dissimilar elastic layers: Part 1-Analytical development. Composite Structures, 134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.06.080
Harvey, C.M., Wood, J.D., Wang, S., Watson, A. (2014) A novel method for the partition of mixed-mode fractures in 2D elastic laminated unidirectional composite beams. Composite Structures, 116(1). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2014.05.041
- Hebei University of Engineering, Handan, China
- AMRC with Boeing
External roles and appointments:
- Visiting scholar at School of Machinery and Equipment Engineering, Hebei University of Engineering, Handan, China.
- Joint organiser of a two-day international symposium at Hebei University of Engineering, Handan, China in August 2017.
- Joint organiser and chair of a session at the 21st International Conference on Composite Materials in Xi’an, China in August 2017.
- Plenary lecture at the Chinese-Franco Symposium on Damage and Fracture of Composite Structures, Peking University, Beijing, China. August 2017.
- Session chair at the 20th,19th, 18th and 17th International Conference on Composite Structures in (Paris September 2017, Porto 2016, Lisbon 2015, Porto 2013).
- Plenary lecture and joint organiser and chair of a mini-symposium at the 14th International Conference on Fracture in Rhodes, Greece in June 2017.
- Session chair at the 2nd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites (Porto 2016).
- Plenary lecture at the National Seminar on Nanostructured Materials, NSS Hindu College Changanacherry, Kerala, India in August 2014.
- Plenary lecture at the 1st World Conference on Fracture and Damage Mechanics at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India in August 2014.
- Plenary lecture at the 16th International Conference on Composite Structures in June 2011.
- Invited lecture at a meeting of Technical Committee 4 of the European Structural Integrity Society, Les Diablerets, Switzerland, May 2012.
- Participation during 2012–2013 in an international `numerical round-robin' on mixed-mode fracture, invited by Technical Committee 4 of the European Structural Integrity Society.