Cyber Security and Big Data MSc
- Entry requirements: 2:2 (or above)
- Year of entry: 2017
- Full-time: 1 year
- Location: London
- Part-time: Up to 4 years
- School: Loughborough University London
This programme is aimed at providing students with the very latest Cyber Security and Big Data principles, practices, tools, and techniques through analysing and evaluating practical application problems in Cyber Security and Big Data industry and responding to important challenges the world is facing.
After completing this programme, students will have a comprehensive understanding of the challenges in Cyber Security and Big Data faced by industry and society and the necessary skills to address those challenges in the most effective way. The programme is designed to build students’ knowledge and develop their expertise in network security, cryptography, data science, and big data analytics through action-based learning, analysis and evaluation of application problems. An essential element built in the programme is to develop the students’ employment skills that are essential to the Cyber Security and Big Data industries or related businesses, e-commerce, and governmental organisations.
- Provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the challenges in cyber security and big data faced by industry and society, and will help them to develop the necessary skills to address those challenges in the most effective way
- Utilise both cyber security and big data analytics techniques to analyse and evaluate problems and respond to challenges with practical applications in real time
- Build students’ knowledge and develop expertise in network security and cryptography, including big data analytics to combat malicious activities and to detect anomalies in the network
- Provide individuals and teams with employment skills essential to the cyber security and big data industries and related businesses, such as IT, e-commerce, and governmental organisations using action-based learning
An honours degree (2:2 or above), or an equivalent overseas qualification recognised by Loughborough University in electronics, computing, physics, mathematics or a related discipline. Overseas qualification equivalencies can be found here.
All applicants for admission to Loughborough University must have a qualification in English Language before they can be admitted to any course or programme, whether their first language is English or not. Find out more here.
Modules are assessed primarily by exams and also include a combination of group exercises, presentations and time-constrained coursework and assignments with varying levels of weighting depending on the nature of each module. Take a look at our modules to see what assessments you can expect to undertake.
Graduates from this programme will be in a very strong position to take on digital technology posts in a wide range of sectors, including Internet and cloud based businesses, finance firms, governmental organisations, consultancy companies operating in information, communication and network security, as well as those sectors dealing with massive personal data, such as health and wellbeing, where users’ privacy and data security needs safeguarding.
Graduates will also have the opportunity to enhancemtheir knowledge and career prospects further by undertaking an MRes or PhD programme.