Professor Jon Carrotte BEng, PhD
Rolls-Royce/Royal Academy of Engineering Professor of Aerothermal Technology
Director of the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes
Combustion System Aerodynamics, Compressor-Combustor Interactions, Fuel Injector Flows, Two-phase Flows, Aero-Acoustics, Dilution Holes, Installation Aerodynamics, Experimental Fluid Mechanics.
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since its formation in 1991.
- BEng(hons) Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University, 1986
- PhD, ‘Mixing of Dilution Jets in a Confined Cross Flow’, Loughborough University, 1991
Department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering, Loughborough University
- Research Assistant, 1986-1991.
- Research Fellow, 1991-1996.
- Rolls-Royce Lecturer in Aerospace Propulsion, 1996-2003.
- Rolls-Royce Reader in Experimental Propulsion Aerodynamics, 2003-2012.
- Rolls-Royce/Royal Academy of Engineering Research Chair in Aerothermal Technology, 2012-present.
- Director of Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Combustion System Aero-thermal Processes, 2012-present.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University
- Visiting Professor, 1995
Undertakes mainly applied research that relates to current and future gas turbine engines. This includes purely aerodynamic and fluid mechanic fundamental studies of the flows found within various gas turbine components (e.g. diffusing flows, wake mixing separated flows, streamline curvature, highly swirling flows), through to investigations of flows within more complex engine representative environments. In addition, work is conducted in multi-disciplinary areas where the aerodynamic flow field strongly interacts with influences other processes. This includes aerodynamics and two phase flows (sprays), aero acoustics, combustion instabilities and heat transfer.
Selected research projects:
- LOPOCOTEC – Low Pollutant Combustor Technology Programme, EU FP5.
- MUSCLES – Modelling of Unsteady Combustion in Low Emission Systems, EU FP5.
- AIDA - Aggressive Intermediate Duct Aerodynamics, EU FP6, 2004–2008.
- INTELLECT D.M. - Integrated Lean Low Emission Combustor Technology - Design Methodology, EU FP6, 2004–2007.
- NEWAC – New Aero Engine Concepts, EU FP6, 2006–2010.
- TECC-AE – Technology Enhancement for Clean Combustion, EU FP7, 2008-2012.
- SAMULET - Strategic Affordable Manufacturing in the UK with Leading Environmental Technology, TSB, 2009-2012
- FIRST – Fuel Injector Research for Sustainable Transport, EU FP7, 2010-2014.
- LEMCOTEC - Low Emissions Core Engine Technologies, EU FP7, 2011–2015.
- NADIT – Novel Aerodynamic Design and Integration Technologies, TSB, 2013-2016.
Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University:
- Gas Turbine Design (TTC011)
- Propulsion Design for the Environment (TTD105)
- Part C and D Individual Projects
EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics:
- Combustion System Aerodynamics
- Advanced Experimental Methods
- Member of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics.
- Director of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes.
- Collaborative research under the EU Framework Programmes.
- PhD Examiner.
- Invited Lectures
- VonKarman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
- Rolls-Royce plc.
- Various UK Universities.
- Associate Editor, Aeronautical Journal, 2005-2012.
- Referee of papers for international conferences and journals:
- ASME IGTI Turbo Expo.
- ASME Journal.
- AIAA Journal.
- The Aeronautical Journal.
Publications and Awards
- Royal Aeronautical Society prize for Best Graduating Student in Aeronautical Engineering at Loughborough University, 1986.
- Best Paper Award, ASME IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee, 1989. - The Influence of Dilution Hole Geometry on Jet Mixing”, 89-GT-292, Toronto, Canada.
- Best Paper Award, ASME IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee, 2006. - “Enhanced External Aerodynamic Performance of a Generic Combustor Using and Integrated OGV/Pre-Diffuser Design Technique”, GT-2006-90184, Barcelona, Spain.
- UK/Europe/USA Patent (PCT/GB.88/00476), “Method for controlling the mixing of dilution jets in combustion systems” 1988.
- Europe/USA Patent (EP1669670 B1/US 7448215B2), “Helmholtz resonator for a combustion chamber for a gas turbine engine”, 2007/08.
- Europe/USA Patent (EP1862739B1/US 7857094B2B2), “Combustion chamber for a gas turbine engine”, 2010/11.