Dr Xujin Bao BSc, MEng, PhD
Director of the Loughborough China Materials Partnership Programme
Xujin attained a BSc and MEng from the department of Materials Science and Engineering at South China University of Technology, China. He then worked as a lecturer in Beijing University of Chemical Technology for six years. Following his move to England, Xujin spent a year as a visiting scholar at Newcastle University, followed by completing a PhD in Materials Chemistry at Northumbria University in 1997. After another four years RA experience in Brunel University, Loughborough University and Queen Mary University of London, Xujin became a lecturer in 2000 then senior lecturer 2006 in the Department of Materials at Loughborough University.
- BSC 1982 and MEng 1986 (China)
- PhD Northumbria University, 1997, Materials Chemistry
Outline of main research interests:
Focus on Materials Chemistry, Energy Materials and Nanomaterials including:
- Ceramic and ceramic composites derived from preceramic polymers.
- Bioceramic nanoparticles and bioceramic/polymer nanocomposites.
- Hybrid composites and functional materials via novel synthetic methods.
- Semiconducting ceramic nanoparticles and thin films.
- Electrolyte polymer membranes for high temperature fuel cell applications.
- Clay/polymer nanocomposites for medical applications
- Nanocomposite conformal coatings for Tin whisker applications
- Preparation, processing and properties of solid-state Li battery materials
Current teaching responsibilities:
- MPB201: Structures and Properties of Polymers
- MPB208: Fracture Mechanics of Materials
- MPC102: Fracture and Failure
- MPC104: Tomorrows Materials
- MPC114: Composite Materials
- MPD103: Tomorrows Materials
- TTP302: Vehicle System Analysis
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Teaching and Learning Committee (UG)
- Director of Loughborough-China Materials Partnership programme
- Director of M.Sc programme: Materials Science and Technology
- Equal Opportunities Advisor
- Zhu, J, Deng, H, Zhu, B, Dong, W, Zhang, W, Li, J, Bao, X (2017) Polymer-assistant ceramic nanocomposite materials for advanced fuel cell technologies, Ceramics International, 43(7) pp.5484-5489
- Bao, X and Liu, Q (2016) Novel octopus shaped organic-inorganic composite membranes for PEMFCs, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41 (36), pp.16160-16166
- Vrsaljko, D and Bao, X (2016) Compatibilization of PUR/PVAC polymer blend by addition of calcium carbonate filler, Polymer Composites, 37(4), pp.1274-1281.
- Bao, X, Zhang, F, Liu, Q, Huang, M (2015) Sulfonated poly(2,5-benzimidazole) (ABPBI)/ MMT/ ionic liquids composite membranes for high temperature PEM applications, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40 (46), pp.16767-16774.
- Bao, X, Zhang, F, Liu, Q, Huang, M (2014) High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membranes Based on Poly(2,5-benzimidazole) (ABPBI) and POSS Incorporated Ionic Liquid, Journal of Materials and Chemical Engineering, 2(4), pp.86-93.
- Ghanizadeh,S ,Bao,X ,Vaidhyanathan,B , Binner,J (2014), Synthesis of nano alumina powders using hydrothermal and precipitation routes: A comparative study, Ceramics International, 40(1), pp.1311-1319.
- Ma,R ,Weng,L ,Song,S ,Bao,X ,Zhang,Y. (2013) In vivo biocompatibility and bioactivity of in situ synthesized hydroxyapatite/polyetheretherketone composite materials, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 127(4), pp. 2581-2587.
- Wang, D, Zhong, J, Sun, B, Bao, X (2012) Synthesis of SnO nanoparticles with varying particle sizes and morphologies by hydrothermal method, Advanced Materials Research, 415, pp.585-589
- Pera Innovation Ltd.
- Rondol Technology Ltd.
- A/C Industries Ltd.
- Advanced Surface Polymer Ltd.
- Clinipart Ltd.
- Newcastle University
- Ningxia Rare Metal Institute
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Johnson Matthey Colour Technology
External roles and appointments:
- Member of Editorial boards: Journal World Engineering, Journal of Nanoparticles and Journal of Advances in Applied Ceramics
- Guest professor: National Engineering Research Centre of Special Metal Materials, China and Hubei University of Science and Technology
- Member of EPSRC review panel