People in the department
Dr Xujin Bao
Director of the Loughborough China Materials Partnership Programme
BSc, MEng, PhD
Tel: 01509 223150
Fax: 01509 223949
Email: X.Bao @Lboro.ac.uk
Xujin attained a BSc and MEng from the department of Materials Science and Engineering at South China University of Technology, China. He then worked as a lecturer in Beijing University of Chemical Technology for six years. Following his move to England, Xujin spent a year as a visiting scholar at Newcastle University, followed by completing a PhD in Materials Chemistry at Northumbria University in 1997. After another four years RA experience in Brunel University, Loughborough University and Queen Mary University of London, Xujin became a lecturer in 2000 then senior lecturer 2006 in the Department of Materials at Loughborough University.
- BSC 1982 and MEng 1986 (China)
- PhD Northumbria University, 1997, Materials Chemistry
Current teaching responsibilities
- MPA108 Mechanics of Materials
- MPC114 Composite Materials
- MPF001 Materials & Materials Processing
- MPC102 Fracture and Failure
- MPD103 Tomorrows Materials
- TTP402 Body Engineering
- MPP356 Blends and Composites
Current administrative responsibilities
- Teaching and Learning Committee (UG)
- Director of Loughborough-China Materials Partnership programme
- Member of University Confide committee
- Equal Opportunities Advisor
Outline of main research interests
- Focus on Materials Chemistry and Nanomaterials including: ceramics and ceramic composites derived from polymeric precursors.
- Ceramic foams and coatings using preceramic polymers.
- Bioceramic nanoparticles and bioceramic/polymer nanocomposites.
- Hybrid composites and functional materials via novel synthetic methods.
- Semiconducting ceramic nanoparticles and thin films.
- Electrolyte polymer membranes for high temperature fuel cell applications.
- Clay/polymer nanocomposites for medical applications
- CNT reinforced laminates
12 Journal and refereed conference papers have been published in the last 5 years including:
- Liu, Q.T., Bao, X., Rogers, D.M. and Zou, S.Q., ''Novel ABPBI/POSS composite membranes for high temperature PEMFC applications'', ECS Transactions, 30, 2011, pp 25-32.
- Zhao, F., Bao, X., McLauchlin, A.R., Gu, J., Wan, C.Y., Kandasubramanian, B. and Duggan, M., ''Effect of POSS on Morphology and Mechanical Properties of Polyamide 12/Montmorillonite Nanocomposites'', Applied Clay Science, 47, 2010, pp 249-256.
- Wan, C.Y., Zhao, F., Bao, X., Kandasubramanian, B. and Duggan, M., ''Effect of POSS on Crystalline Transitions and Physical Properties of Polyamide 12'', Journal of Polymer Science Part B - Polymer Physics, 47(2), 2009, pp 121-129.
- Zhao, F., Bao, X., Wan, C.Y., Kandasubramanian, B. and Duggan, M., ''Modification of Montomorillonite with Aminopropylisooctyl Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsequioxane'', Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 333, 2009, pp 164-170.
Pera Innovation Ltd, Rondol Technology Ltd, A/C Industries Ltd, Advanced Surface Polymer Ltd, Clinipart Ltd.
External roles and appointments
- Editorial board of Journal World Engineering and Journal of Advanced in Applied Ceramics
- Guest professor National Engineering Research Centre of Special Metal Materials, China
- Member of EPSRC review panel from 2006 to present
Full list of publications