Dr Diganta B Das BE PhD
Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering
Diganta finished his Bachelor of Engineering degree (Chemical Engineering) from Rajasthan University, India (1996) and PhD (Chemical Engineering) from Loughborough University, UK (2001). He was a post-doctoral research fellow at Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands and a visiting fellow at Princeton University, US (2001-2003).
Prior to joining Loughborough University, Diganta was a Departmental Lecturer in Chemical Engineering at the University of Oxford (2003-2007). He has also held a visiting faculty appointment at Eindhoven University, the Netherlands and Texas Southern University, Houston, the USA (short term).
Diganta was promoted to Senior Lecturer in August 2009.
- International Water Association (IWA), London, UK
Invited and keynote lectures (since 2000):
- 58th Annual meeting of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineering (New Delhi, India, 2005)
- 2nd International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (Guwahati, India, 2006)
Research interests and activities:
- Drug delivery devices for skin and intervertevral disc
- Bioreactor technology for growing artificial tissue
- Dynamic theories for multiphase Flow in Porous Media
- Up-scaling micro-heterogeneity effects on fluid flow and transport behaviour
- Developing tools for problems involving coupled free and porous flow
- Permeable reactive barrier for remediation of contaminated subsurface
- Modern computing and monitoring methods
- Guest Editor, Journal of Transport in Porous Media, entitled ''Upscaling multiphase flow in porous media: from pore to core and beyond',2005. (Springer-Verlag)
- Co-Founding Member and Secretary, International Water Association (IWA) Specialist Group on 'Multiphase Flow and Transport of Contaminants in Porous Media.
- Elected Vice Chair, International Water Association (IWA) Specialist Group on 'Multiphase Flow and Transport in Porous Media'.
- Associate Editor, Water Science and Technology (IWA Publishers) (2007-2010)
- Editor, Water Science and Technology (IWA Publishers) (2011-)
- Editorial Board Member, Biotechnnology Letters (Springer - Verlag)
- Guest Editor, Asia Pacific Journal of Chemical Enginering, 2010. (John Wiley and Sons)
Organising / Scientific Committee of International Conferences:
- Engineering with Membranes: Medical and Biological Applications (Camogli, Italy, 2005)
- Desalination and Water Purification (Jaipur, India, 2006)
- Industrial Simulation Conference (Palermo, Italy, 2006; Delft, The Netherlands, 2007; Lyon, France, 2008; Loughborough, UK, 2009; Budapest, Hungary, 2010; Venice, Italy, 2011; Brno, Czech Republic, 2012; Ghent, Belgium, 2013; Skövde, Sweden, 2014)
- Middle Eastern Conference on Simulation and Modelling (Alexandria, Egypt, 2006)
- Computational Mechanics and Simulation (Guwahati, India, 2006)
- Interdisciplinary Transport Phenomena (Bansko, Bulgaria, 2007; Volterra, Italy, 2009)
- European Simulation and Modelling Conference (Porto, Portugal, 2005; Tolouse, France, 2006; Malta, 2007;Lyon, France, 2008; Leicester, UK, 2009; Hasselt, Belgium, 2010; Guimaraes, Portugal, 2011; Essen, Germany, 2012; Lancaster, UK, 2013; Porto, Portugal, 2014)
- Gordon Research Conference (GRC) on Flow and Transport in Permeable Media, Magdalen College, Oxford, UK, July 13-18, 2008.
- The Annual World Congress on Engineering (London, UK, 2007-2014))
- Electronic Healthcare for the 21st Century (eHealth, 2008), (London,UK,2008)