Dr Andrew Stapley MA MEng PhD MIFST AMIChemE
- +44 (0)1509 222525
1st degree and PhD from University of Cambridge Dept Chemical Engineering. Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham School of Chemical Engineering 1995-99. Joined Loughborough University in 1999. Became Senior Lecturer in 2007.
- Associate Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Member of the Society of Chemical Industry
- Member of the Institute of Food Science and Technology
External appointments (since 2000)
- Member of European Confederation of Chemical Engineers (EFCE) Working Party on Drying.
- Subject Editor and Member of the Editorial Board of Transactions IChemE, Part C: Food and Bioproducts Processing (Institution of Chemical Engineers)
- Chairman of Lipids Technical Group of the Society of Chemcial Industry (SCI)
- Board member of EuroFedLipid
Research interests and activities
- Modelling of heat and mass transfer in food processes
- Spray drying, freeze drying and spray-freeze-drying processes
- Kinetics of fat crystallization and transformation
- Tea infusion
Invited and keynote lectures
- Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry (RCS, 2005)
- 16th International Drying Symposium, Hyderabad, India, November 2008 on “Spray Freeze Drying”
- Keynote Presentation at 4th International Symposium on Spray Dried Dairy Products, Melbourne, Australia, April 2009 on “Spray Freeze Drying of Whey Using a Fluidised Bed at Sub-atmospheric Pressures”
- Plenary Presentation at Eurodrying 2013 Conference, Paris, on "Freeze Drying Microscopy as a Tool to Study the Kinetics of the Sublimation Process in a Model Lactose System"
Organising / Scientific Committee of International Conferences
- 2nd International Symposium on Spray Drying of Milk Products, Cork, Ireland, October 2004
- Science and Technology of Food Emulsions, London, June 2012Publications