Professor Kambiz Ebrahimi BSc, MEng, PhD
Professor of Advanced Propulsion
Automotive Research theme leader for the School of AACME
Advanced Propulsion research group leader
KM Ebrahimi is a chartered mechanical engineer and Professor of Advanced Propulsion in the department of Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering at Loughborough University; previously he was Professor of mechanical engineering in the University of Bradford. His main area of research is in dynamics, control and monitoring of mechatronic system. He was the recipient of the FORD Motor Company award for Web based condition monitoring of drive systems in 1999. He is the Chair and organizer of Powertrain Modelling and Control Conference PMC2012, 2014 and 2016.
- BSc, Mechanical Eng, Plymouth Polytechnic
- MEng, System Engineering, UWIST Cardiff
- PhD Dynamic modelling , Cardiff University
Outline of main research interest
- Systems and Control Theory, Multivariable and Large-Scale Systems
- Modelling and characterization of mechatronic systems.
- Energy management and control of hybrid powertrains.
- System monitoring, fault diagnosis and turbomachinery Tip-timing
- Hybrid, electric, L Category vehicles.
Current and recent grants and contracts
- VPEC: Validation Platform for Engine Calibration, Advanced Propulsion Centre, 2016-2018
- ACTIVE: Advanced Combustion Turbocharged Inline Variable valvetrain Engine, Advanced Propulsion Centre & Technology Strategy Board. 2014-2017
- Design and prototyping of power generators for remote valve actuation, Knowledge Transfer Partnership, Advanced Actuators; 2014 - 2016.
- BDMS Turbo-charger Blade Deflection Monitoring System, Cummins Turbo Technology; 2015-2016
- HBITS, Modelling and simulation of a hybrid Bus, EcoDriver Project, EU FP7, ITS Leeds University; 2013-2014.
- Aramco- Data Acquisition and processing for rotating shaft telemetry system; January 2013-2016
- BTTV, Blade Tip timing and telemetry validation project, Cummins Turbo Technology; 2013-2014.
- TSB/EPSRC- CREO, (CO2 Reduction through Emission Optimisation); Technology Strategy Board contract for an ultra low carbon vehicle technology & supply network.
Current Teaching Responsilbilities:
- TTB107 Vehicle Loading and Suspensions (Vehicle Design)
- TTB210 Powertrain Technologies and Attributes
- TTP301 Vehicle and Powertrain Functional Performance
- Souflas, I; Pezouvanis, A; Ebrahimi, K. M., Nonlinear Recursive Estimation With Estimability Analysis for Physical and Semiphysical Engine Model Parameters; J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 2015, ASME
- Rogers, D., Mason, B., Pezouvanis, A. and Ebrahimi K. M, A Model Based Approach for Determining Data Quality Metrics in Combustion Pressure Measurement, Combustion Science and Technology, Volume 187, Issue 4, 2015.
- Bradley, W., Ebrahimi,K. M ., Ehsani, M., A General Approach for Current-Based Condition Monitoring of Induction Motors, J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 136(4), 041024, 2014, ASME.
- Ford Motor Company
- Turbo Technology
External roles and appointments
- Chair and Organizer of: Powertrain Modelling and Control Conference, PMC2012•
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Powertrains, since 2012.
- Organizer of: Meeting the Challenges In Powertrain Testing, 25 Nov, 2009, TRW Conekt, Technical Centre, UK.
- Invited key note speaker of the Sixth International Conference on Internal Combustion Engines
- November 17-19, 2009.
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Multibody Dynamics, Part K, Proceeding of IMechE, since 2005.
- Editor, American Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Science and education publication. since 2013.
- Co–Editor of: Application of Multi-Variable System Techniques, Professional Engineering Publishing, 1998, ISBN 1-86058128-5.
- Co–Editor of: Multi Body Dynamics, Professional Engineering Publishing, 2000, ISBN 1-86058258-3.
- Assessor for the Monitored Professional Development Scheme of the Institute of Measurement and Control.
- Academic referee for the international journals: Journal of Engineering Manufacture (IMechE), Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science (IMechE), Journal of Industrial Engineering (Trans ASME), Journal of Design (Trans ASME), Computers in Industry, The Journal of The Franklin Institute, Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- Research Collaboration with Industry through contacts and research grants such as with AVL, ETAS, Ford Motor Company, 600 Lathes, Metal Dyne, BP, Cross Hueller, National Instrument, Cummins Turbocharger Technologies, S&I (Powell Int.) and JLR.