Dr Jeff Howell PhD
Visiting Research Fellow
PhD Vehicle Aerodynamics The City University, London 1977
Visiting Research Fellow at Loughborough University since 2005.
Jeff Howell is currently Technical Specialist in Aerodynamics at the Tata Motors European Technical Centre, TMETC, based at the University of Warwick.
Jeff started his career in the aircraft industry but has mainly worked in the field of vehicle aerodynamics. He spent 10 years of research on the aerodynamics of high speed trains before joining the car industry. For nearly 20 years Jeff was head of Aerodynamics at Rover, then Land Rover and Jaguar before taking up his current post.
- Vehicle aerodynamics and, in particular, road vehicle aerodynamics.
- Base pressure
- J.P. HOWELL, P. S. NEWNHAM, M.A. PASSMORE, ‘Effect of Free Stream Turbulence on Road Vehicle Aerodynamics’. Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management V, Editor J. Wiedemann, FKFS, Stuttgart, October 2007.
- J.P. HOWELL, G.M. LE GOOD, ‘Effect of Backlight Aspect Ratio on Vortex and Base Drag for a Simple Car-Like Shape’. SAE 2008-01-0737, 2008.
- J.P. HOWELL, T.L. HAYNES, ‘The Influence of Lift on the Underbody Drag for Cars’. 7th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, Coventry, October 2008.
- J.P. HOWELL, J. BADEN FULLER, M.A. PASSMORE, ‘The Effect of Free Stream Turbulence on A-Pillar Airflow’. SAE 2009-01-0003, 2009.
- J.P. HOWELL, J. BADEN FULLER, ‘A Relationship between Lift and Lateral Aerodynamic Characteristics for Passenger Cars’. SAE 2010-01-1025, 2010.
- J.P. HOWELL, ‘The Aerodynamic Development of the Tata Vista EVX X-Prize Competition Car’. 8th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, October 2010.