Dr Hao Xia BEng, MSc, PhD, FHEA, MAIAA
Senior Lecturer in Gas Turbine Aerothermal Engineering
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since 2014
- Software Engineer, Nanjing R&D Centre, Huawei Co. Ltd., 2001.
- Senior Research Officer, Zienkiewicz Computational Engineering Centre, Swansea University, 2006 – 2007
- Research Associate, Whittle Laboratory, University of Cambridge, 2007 – 2010.
- MHI Senior Research Fellow, Osney Laboratory, University of Oxford, 2011.
- Lecturer in Computational Thermofluid Dynamics, University of Sussex, 2011 – 2014.
- Lecturer in Gas Turbine Aerothermal Engineering, Loughborough University, 2014 – 2017.
- Senior Lecturer in Gas Turbine Aerothermal Engineering, Loughborough University, 2017 - present
- BEng (1st Class), Aerodynamics, NUAA*, 1998.
- MSc (1st Class), Fluid Mechanics, NUAA*, 2001.
- PhD, University of Sheffield, 2005. Thesis: Dynamic Grid Detached-Eddy Simulation for Synthetic Jet Flows.
- PGCertHE, University of Sussex, 2013.
* NUAA: Nanjing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Nanjing, China.
Key Awards and accomplishments
- Outstanding MSc Dissertation Prize, 2001.
- Runner-up Prize, 4th Osborne Reynolds Research Competition, ERCOFTAC UK, 2006.
- Computational aerodynamics
- Large-eddy simulation
- Computational aeroacoustics
- Numerical heat transfer
- High End Computing (extensive expertise in developing parallel CFD codes)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Journal referee
- Research council peer reviewer (EPSRC)
- External PhD examiner (Cambridge, Sheffield, Sussex)
- Chen, X and Xia, H (2016) Hybrid LES-RANS study on square cylinder unsteady heat transfer, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 108A, pp. 1237-1254.
- Sinha, A, Kristjan, G, Xia, H, Colonius, T (2016) Parabolized Stability Analysis of Jets from Serrated Nozzles, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 789, pp.33-63.
- Xia, H (2015) Turbulent jet characteristics for axisymmetric and serrated nozzles, Computers & Fluids, 110, pp.189-197.
- Angelino, M, Moratilla-Vega, MA, Xia, H, Page, GJ (2016) Large-eddy simulations of high Reynolds number jets with a suitable subgrid-scale model for solver dependency study. ERCOFTAC ETMM11, Palermo, Italy.
- Angelino, M, Xia, H, Moratilla-Vega, MA, Page, GJ (2016) Far-field Noise Prediction of Round and Serrated Jets with Increasingly Refined Grids. In 22nd AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Lyon, France.
- Sinha, A, Xia, H, Colonius, T (2015) Parabolized Stability Analysis of Jets Issuing from Serrated Nozzle. In 3rd Symposium on Fluid-Structure-Sound Interactions and Control, Perth, Australia.
Full publications and citations