Dr Andrew Garmory MEng, PhD
Lecturer in Computational Fluid Dynamics
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since 2012.
- CFD methods, combustion and multi-phase flows, aeroacoustics.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Cambridge, 2007-2009.
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Cornell University, 2010.
- Software Development Engineer, Eulerian multiphase flows, CD-adapco, 2010-2012.
- Lecturer in Computational Fluid Dynamics, Loughborough University, 2012-date.
- MEng (hons), Engineering, University of Cambridge, 2004
- PhD, ‘Micromixing Effects in Atmospheric Reacting Flows’, University of Cambridge, 2007
Outline main research interests
Development and application of CFD methods for flows within modern gas turbines. In particular this includes modelling reacting flows, such as combustion, and multiphase flows such as the fuel spray within the combustor or ingestion of particles, such as ice or sand, into the engine. CFD simulations of the effect of acoustic pressure waves, such as those produced by combustion instabilities, on flows within the engine is also taking place in close collaboration with experimental work on the same subject.
- Applied Aerodynamics
Selected research projects
- SILOET 2 Project 10 - Virtual Engine Design Systems, TSB, 2013-2016
- NaDIT - Novel Aerodynamic Design and Integration Technologies, TSB, 2013-2016
- AMEL - Advanced Methods for the Prediction of Lean-burn Combustor Unsteady Phenomena, EU (Clean-Sky), 2015-2016
Current teaching responsibilities
Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University:
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (TTC102)
- Aerodynamics (Part C) TTC051
EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics:
- Technical Computing
- Dianat, M, Skarysz, M, Hodgson, G, Garmory, A, Passmore, M (2017) Coupled Level-Set Volume of Fluid Simulations of Water Flowing Over a Simplified Drainage Channel With and Without Air Coflow, SAE International Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems, 10(1), ISSN: 1946-4002. DOI: 10.4271/2017-01-1552.
- Sun, D, Garmory, A, Page, G (2017) A Robust Two-Node, 13 Moment Quadrature Method of Moments for Dilute Particle Flows Including Wall Bouncing, Journal of Computational Physics, 330, pp.493-509, ISSN: 0021-9991. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcp.2016.11.025.
- Dianat, M, Skarysz, M, Garmory, A (2017) A Coupled Level Set and Volume of Fluid Method for Automotive Exterior Water Management Applications, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 91, pp.19-19, ISSN: 1879-3533. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2017.01.008.
- Sun, D, Garmory, A, Page, GJ (2016) Simulation of inertial behavior of dilute particle flow in horizontal channel with Eulerian method of velocity-reassociated quadrature-based method of moments, Powder Technology, 304, pp.157-163, ISSN: 0032-5910. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2016.09.035.
- Sun, D, Garmory, A, Page, GJ, Tristanto, IH (2016) Simulation of Particle Flow in Inertial Particle Separators with Eulerian VR-QMOM Method, AIAA Journal: devoted to aerospace research and development, 54(12), pp.3803-3812, ISSN: 0001-1452. DOI: 10.2514/1.J054981.
External roles and responsibilities
- Member of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics
- Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes
- Member of the UK Consortium on Turbulent Reacting Flows (UKCTRF)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- PhD Examiner
- Referee of papers for international journals:
- Combustion and Flame
- Flow Turbulence and Combustion
- Combustion Theory and Modelling