About the department
Professor Wen-Hua ChenCEng FIMechE FIET SMIEEE
Professor in Autonomous Vehicles
Tel +44 (0)1509 227 230
Fax +44 (0)1509 227 275
- Lecturer and Associate Professor, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China. 1991-1997
- Research Associate and Lecturer, The University of Glasgow, Scotland, 1997 - 2000.
- Lecturer and Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, England. 2001 - 2012
- Professor, Loughborough University, England. 2012 -
- Professor in Autonomous Vehicles
- Leader of Control and Reliability Research Group
- Core member of the EPSRC/Dstl University Defence Research Collaborations (UDRC)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Fellow of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE)
- Fellow of Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Senior Member of the Institute of EEE (SMIEEE)
- Visiting Professor at Beihang University
- Published about 200 papers on international journal and conferences
- One paper was selected as the most popular paper on Automatica in 2003.
- Best reviewer award in 2008 for International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics
- Attracted fund supporting research from EPSRC, BAE Systems, the European Space Agency and Royal Society.
- Charles Shape Beecher Prize from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 2013
- Controls and Reliability
Research interests and activities
- Guidance, navigation and flight control
- Applications of advanced control techniques in engineering
- Autonomy and decision making for unmanned vehicles
- Robust and nonlinear control
- Developed advanced functions for autonomous systems
- Verification, acceptance and certification for unmanned vehicles
- Flight test, demonstration of small scale unmanned aerial vehicles
- Ground vehicles, helicopters, fixed wing aircraft and spacecraft
- Editorial board membership: International Journal of Control, Systems and Automation; International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics.
- Member of IEEE Technical Committee on Aerospace Control.
- Member of Autonomous Systems National Technical Committee, technology strategic board.
- Member of GARTEUR (Group for Aerospace Research and Technologies in Europe) Action group: Towards More Autonomy
- Advisory roles: Panel member for EU Framework Programme projects; Research proposal reviewer for The Israel Science Foundation; Proposal reviewer for Royal Society
- International conference organisation: Involved in organising about 20 international conferences in the last 5 years, including 7th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics. Funchal, Madeira, Portugal. (2010); The Fifth IEEE International Conference on Service Operations, Logistics and Informatics, Chicago, USA. (2009); IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control. Okayama, Japan (2009); IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA), IEEE Multi-Conference on Systems and Control (MSC2009). Saint Petersburg, Russia. (2009); IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA), San Antonio, USA (2008)
- Invited lectures: Invited talks in Cambridge University, Sheffield, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, Beihang University, Southeast University, Oxford University.
- Regular Reviewer for all the major journals in control engineering including Automatica; ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control; European Journal of Control; International Journal of Control; Proceedings of IMechE: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering; International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control; IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technologies; IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control; IEE Proceedings Part-D: Control Theory and Applications; International Journal of Systems Science; IEEE/ASME Transactions of Mechatronics; IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Control Engineering Practice
- Collaborative Research: closely work with BAE Systems and the European Space Agency (ESA).
- Part C Avionics
- Part C Flight Control Systems
- Part D Advanced Flight Dynamics and Control