The Sir Thomas White Charity Loan is an equal opportunity organisation. Eligible students can apply to borrow up to £10,000 interest-free to help with the cost of studying for a postgraduate course anywhere in the world. The loan is interest-free for nine years but is repayable in equal instalments after three years.
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- over 18 and under 45 years of age.
- a resident in Leicestershire or Rutland for three years.
- have a gross annual income of less than £15,000 per annum.
- have liquid assets of less than £40,000.
- able to demonstrate a real need for the loan.
- applying to study or already studying on a postgraduate course.
- where the applicant is a non-UK citizen, you must have indefinite leave to remain in the UK or have the relevant permit for the full duration of the nine-year loan period.
You will also need two guarantors for the loan, each guaranteeing a maximum of £7,500.
How to apply
You will need to contact the charity for an application form. Interviews take place in February, May, August and November and applications are required at least four weeks prior to the interview dates.
Interviews will be arranged with a small group of trustees so that you can explain why you need the loan.
If your application is successful, you and your guarantors will sign a joint and several bond.