Finance OfficeStudents

Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the Student Finance Frequently Asked Questions page. A number of the common questions are covered below but if you still can't find the answer to your query please contact us.

How do I pay?

Fees can be paid by bank transfer, online, debit/credit card, direct debit, bankers draft, and cheque.  For more information please refer to Student fees - how to pay.

When do I pay my fees?

Accommodation - fees are charged at the start of each academic term and are payable no later than the following dates: 15th November 2019, 24th January 2020 and 15th May 2020.

Tuition - for self-funding students the three instalment dates are the same as the accommodation fees.

Will I get an invoice or notification about my unpaid fees?

Students with unpaid fees will receive a monthly statement during term time which will be sent to the Loughborough student email account.  It is important that the account is checked regularly.

Are there penalties for late payment or payment failures?

Content to be added shortly.

If I encounter financial hardship, can you help?

If you anticipate any difficulty paying your tuition or accommodation fees please contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

The Finance Office will also be happy to advise you of your options, depending on your circumstances.  The University is keen to ensure that students are fully aware of the options available in order to minimise financial worry and difficulty.


If I choose to pay by direct debit, can the dates be changed if my money is going to be received late into my bank account?

The dates are fixed and no change can be made.  You must ensure sufficient cleared funds are in your bank account before the payments dates quoted on the Financial Payment Options Form.

How will I know the amount to be taken from my bank account if I choose to pay by direct debit?

The University will contact you in advance of the first payment date with a statement to advise you of the amounts and confirm the payment dates.  The dates are also printed on the Financial Payment Options Form.

I have elected to pay by direct debit but have received a statement, is this correct?

Yes, if you have chosen to pay by direct debit the statement will still be sent and is for information purposes only.  

Please note that fines, field trips, material charges, etc. are not included in the direct debits and should be paid for by an alternative method.

Do I have to set up a new direct debit or will my old one continue?

Unless we hear from you, your direct debit will continue for the new academic year.  However, if the gap between two payment transactions is more than 12 months the mandate becomes inactive and it will need to be reinstated.  It is advisable to submit a new form each academic year to reflect the correct payment dates for that respective year giving us the authority to collect payments.

Can I pay by direct debit from my overseas bank account?

No, you will need to open a UK bank account that will accept this instruction.

I have a savings account with a UK bank; can I use this to pay by direct debit?

It is very unlikely a UK bank will accept a direct debit payment from a savings or reserve account.  We would suggest you check with your bank before returning the instruction to the University to ensure they will be able to process the direct debit.

Is a debit card the same as direct debit?

No, a debit card allows you to make manual payments.  With a direct debit you give the University a signed instruction to take money from your UK bank account for an amount already advised to you and on a certain future date.

My direct debit payment has been returned by my bank, will you try to take the payment again from my account?

If the payment has failed, we would ask you to contact Finance Shared Services on 01509 223538 immediately to arrange payment by an alternative method.

What do I do if the student loan company are paying some/all of my tuition fees?

The Student Loan Company (SLC) will advise the University of the fees they are paying on your behalf and this will be reflected on the statement.  We do not require sight of either the Final Notification or the Payment Schedule.

Why does the statement say my tuition fees are payable by me when they will be paid by the student loans company?

If you have applied to the Student Loan Company (SLC) and received confirmation that this has been granted your tuition fee charge may still be included on your statement.  This is because it can take a while for the SLC records and the University records to be aligned.  Until the Finance Office has confirmation the records will show the tuition fees as payable by the student.

If you have confirmation of your loan from the SLC then you need take no further action and can disregard this part of the statement.  However, if the tuition fee remains outstanding by term 2 please check with the SLC to establish any issues to be resolved.

Attendance confirmation required?

If the Student Finance Company require confirmation of attendance (tuition fees) and registration (maintenance loan) this process is dealt with by the Student Enquiries Office, which is on the ground floor of the Rutland Building. T: 01509 222491.

I have already paid my fees, have you received the money?

If the money is not already on your student account, to enable us to trace the payment we need to know the payment date, the payment method, and the payment amount remitted.

Can a family member or a representative discuss my student account?

Due to Data Protection legislation (GDPR) we can't communicate with a third party without prior authorisation from the student - for example a Data Release Password which the student will need to provide to Academic Registry.

I am a sponsored student, will my sponsor receive an invoice?

In order for us to raise an invoice we will require the Financial Guarantee from your sponsor authorising us to invoice for your fees (preferably before the commencement of your studies).  Sponsor companies are increasingly requesting a purchase order number be quoted on the invoice.  Please check with your sponsor to clarify their policy for the payment of invoices to avoid any delays in payment being made to the University.

Has my sponsor paid my fees?

You will receive a monthly statement which will reflect any unpaid fees on your student account.  It is the responsibility of the student to liaise with their sponsor to ensure all fees are paid as quickly as possible.

My sponsor says they have paid my tuition fees but they are still showing as outstanding on the statement.

Unfortuately sometimes the University receives payments that do not include the student reference number and is unable to trace which student the monies should be allocated to.  We suggest you contact your sponsor and ask for confirmation of the date and amount of the payment they made.  Please forward this information to the Finance Office at who will then try to locate the payment.

I do not have a UK bank account, can I remit monies from abroad to the university's bank account in excess of the fees due to the university and for you to pay me the excess?

The University does not act as a bank.  Any overpayments made can only be returned to the bank account from which the payment was originally made.

Room deposits

Room deposit payments will be applied towards your termly accommodation fee.  Any excess amount paid in one term will be applied towards the next terms accommodation fee.

Why is my online card payment failing?

You will need your student ID number (e.g. B******), student name, and date of birth to use this service.  The online payment option is only available to active registered students.  If you still experience technical difficulties, please contact IT Services.