Loughborough University has a strong tradition of teacher education and a history of successfully producing teachers who are in great demand by schools and colleges in the UK and overseas.
We are renowned for the high quality courses we offer in Physical Education and Mathematics. Highly rated in Ofsted inspections, Loughborough is a category 'A' provider which represents 'outstanding' provision.
Teacher Education at Loughborough University trains individuals to teach the 11-18 age range. All individuals on the PGCE course experience teaching the 11-16 curriculum as well as post-16, and are qualified to take up teaching posts in all secondary schools covering the 11-18 age range.
The Loughborough PGCE has been designed by university staff and teachers from schools, and is intended to help student teachers on the path to becoming well informed and reflective professionals.
The course lasts 36 weeks. Student teachers spend two thirds of the course in two different secondary schools, where they are supported by experienced teachers. The rest of the course is spent at university, where tutors and teachers prepare participants for their school experience.
Why study at Loughborough
- Rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted - Loughborough University has been awarded outstanding provider status in the latest Ofsted report, achieving grade 1 in all areas. Read the latest Ofsted Report (pdf file).
- We are 1st in the world for the sixth time running for sports-related subjects (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022).
- We have an internationally renowned Mathematics Education Centre, which represents one of the largest groups of mathematics education researchers in the UK.
- We have partnerships with more than 60 schools in the region, allowing us to tailor the PGCE to your needs as a student teacher.
- Our reputation is impressive - we're ranked in the top 10 of all major UK league tables.
- For more information about studying at Loughborough, please visit our online postgraduate prospectus.