Lecturer in Sports Law
Dr. Serhat Yilmaz is a Lecturer in Sports Law in the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences (SSEHS) at Loughborough University. Serhat lectures in various undergraduate and postgraduate courses including the Foundations of Sports Law, Sport Integrity, and Sport Policy, Governance and Law. Serhat is also the programme director of Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents, an executive education that he has developed.
Serhat’s research expertise has two main strands:
- sports agents
- protection of young athletes in sport
His research has been awarded funding from the Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF) and UNICEF UK.
Serhat holds a law degree from Istanbul University, an LLM from University of London (SOAS), Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) and Legal Practice Course (LPC) from the University of Law, and PhD in Law from University of Westminster.
Serhat is also an associate lecturer at the Birkbeck Sport Business Centre at Birkbeck (University of London) and the academic member of the Centre for Society, Law and Popular Culture at the Westminster Law School (University of Westminster)
Projects and awards
- ‘Children before players’: children’s rights and recruitment in the professional football industry (2019, funded by UNICEF, £50,000)
- Developing an e-learning platform to educate agents in football (2019, funded by HEIF, £54,364)
- Mapping and identifying child rights issues in the recruitment of young players in football: Current risks and future research agendas (2017, funded by UNICEF, £10,000)
The International Sports Law Journal
International Review for the Sociology of Sport
European Sport Management Quarterly
- Yeon Kang, (PhD Awarded in May 2019) Sport as a State's Soft Power Strategy: The Case of South Korea and the UK (Co-Supervised by Prof. Barrie Houlihan)
- Stacy Gray, (PhD Awarded in October 2018) Achieving Compliance With The World Anti-Doping Code: Learning From The Implementation Of Three Selected International Agreements (Co-Supervised by Prof. Barrie Houlihan)
- Yilmaz, S., 2019. CAS 2016/A/4785 Real Madrid Club de Fútbol v. FIFA, Award of 3 May 2017. In Yearbook of International Sport Arbitration, Springer (Online)
- Esson, J., Darby, P., Drywood, E., Mason, C. and Yilmaz, S. Children before players: Current risks and future research agendas. UNICEF, January 2020.
- Yilmaz S., 2019. Re-regulating football agents: would FIFA’s proposed commission cap and prohibition on dual representation work in practice?. Law in Sport, 6 June 2019
- Yilmaz, S. & Duval, A., 2017. What Pogba’s transfer tells us about the (de)regulation of intermediaries in football. Asser international Sports Law Blog, 17 May 2017
- Analysis of the EU Sports Policy: the Integrity of Sport and Players’ Agents (Intermediaries)
Sport and EU Annual Conference 2019, Sport and EU, Malta, 27th June 2019
- Protection of Minors in Football
Football Law 2019 - Player Transfers, Agents, Politics and the Business of Football, Law in Sport, London, 22nd and 23rd May 2019
- Contextualising Child Trafficking in Football: Forms, Factors and Dynamics
High-level panel session on Time for Europe to Stand Against Child Trafficking in Sport, European Parliament, Brussels, 16th October 2018
- The EU Sports Policy and the Regulation of Players' Agents: a Theoretical Analysis of Socio-cultural Perspective
UACES 2016 Annual Conference, The Academic Association for Contemporary European Studies, London, 05-SEP- 2016
- Mason, C., Darby, P., Drywood, E., Esson, J., & Yilmaz, S., 2019. Rights, Risks and Responsibilities in the Recruitment of Children within the Global Football Industry. The International Journal of Children's Rights, 27(4), 738-756.
- Yilmaz, S., Esson, J., Darby, P., Drywood, E., & Mason, C., 2018. Children’s rights and the regulations on the transfer of young players in football. International Review for the Sociology of Sport. https://doi.org/10.1177/1012690218786665
- Yilmaz, S., 2018. Advancing our understanding of the EU sports policy: the socio-cultural model of sports regulation and players’ agents. International journal of sport policy and politics, 10(2), 353-369. https://doi.org/10.1080/19406940.2018.1432671
- Garcia, B., de Wolff, M., & Yilmaz, S., 2018. Issue Framing and Institutional Constraints in EU Agenda-Setting: An Analysis of European Union Sport Policy. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 14(1), 23-39Yilmaz, S., 2018. Protection of minors: Lessons about the FIFA RSTP from the recent Spanish cases at the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The International Sports Law Journal, 18:15 https://doi.org/10.1007/s40318-018-0126-y
- Yilmaz, S., Manoli, A. E., & Antonopoulos, G. A., 2018. An anatomy of Turkish football match-fixing. Trends in Organized Crime, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12117-018-9345-8