Dr Iuliana Hartescu
Lecturer in Psychology
Iuliana gained her undergraduate degree in Psychology (2010) at Loughborough University, followed by a PhD in Behavioural Medicine (Loughborough University, 2014). Iuliana’s PhD work focused on the role of behavioural interventions for people with sleeping disorders (insomnia), and included a randomized controlled trial of physical activity to the recommended guidelines effects on sleep quality of people with insomnia. Following the completion of her PhD, Iuliana took up a Research Associate position with the Biomedical Research Unit (BRU), and NIHR-funded partnership between Loughborough University, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, and University of Leicester. In 2016 Iuliana was appointed as a Lecturer in Psychology in the Schoo
Iuliana’s research interests are in the area of sleep behaviour and public health. Current projects Iuliana is working on include examination of large datasets for patterns of daytime activity, sleep behaviour and long-term health outcomes; and studies which examine the role of sleep duration in metabolic health in clinical and non-clinical populations.
- Journal referee: International Journal of Behavioral Medicine
- Professional membership: Sleep Research Society
- Hartescu, I., Morgan, K., & Stevinson, C. D. (2015). Increased physical activity improves sleep and mood outcomes in inactive people with insomnia: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of sleep research, 24(5), 526-534. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12297
- Hartescu, I., Morgan, K., & Stevinson, C. D. (2016). Sleep Quality and Recommended Levels of Physical Activity in Older People. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 24(2), 201-206. doi: 10.1123/japa.2014-0061
- Benjamins, J., Migliorati, F., Dekker, K., Wassing, R., Moens, S., Van Someren, E., .Hartescu, I.,. . Tesler, N. (2013). The sleep registry. An international online survey and cognitive test assessment tool and database for multivariate sleep and insomnia phenotyping. Sleep medicine, 14, e293-e294.