Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents
Loughborough University's new Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents is designed to meet the need for a comprehensive industry qualification that covers sports law, governance and business practices - drawing on Loughborough's unique connections to the world of sport.
By maintaining high standards within the profession, existing problems associated with poor practice will be addressed – protecting and enhancing the positive image of the game and its professionals.
This unique 10-week programme – endorsed by the UK Association of Football Agents – is ideal for registered sports agents and anyone wishing to move into this sector.
It will provide you with the breadth of knowledge and capabilities required to operate lawfully – and in a principled manner – within the player and transfer markets.
Combining lectures and seminars, the programme makes use of practical activities and discussions to support and embed learning.
The broad course content and wide-ranging expertise of our programme team makes Loughborough University's Professional Certificate Programme for Sports Agents suitable for agents (or aspiring agents) working across sports.
There are two cohorts per year, each running for 10 weeks and delivered at Loughborough London campus on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London on Thursday evenings at 6:30-9:00pm.
Autumn cohort: October - December
Winter cohort: February - April
The next cohort will run from 31st January - 4th April 2019.
Each evening will begin with a tutor-led theory session followed by hands-on case study activities.
The course will focus on the three core pillars of the agency profession and market:
The programme is taught over 10 weeks, covering the following topics:
- Week 1: Becoming an Agent - Regulations and Registration as an Agent
- Week 2: Understanding Contracts – Representation Contracts (Players/Athletes and Clubs contracts)
- Week 3: Understanding Contracts – Employment and Commercial Contracts (Endorsements and Image Rights)
- Week 4: Complying with the Regulations – Representing Minors
- Week 5: Complying with the Regulations – Third Party Ownership (TPO)
- Week 6: Complying with the Regulations – Corruption and Match-fixing
- Week 7: Resolving Disputes – Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
- Week 8: Being an agent - How Transfers Work?
- Week 9: Being an agent - Managing Players/Athletes and Parents
- Week 10: Being an Agent – How to Grow Your Business
The benefits of completing this programme
Ideal for existing registered and prospective sports agents, the programme will help you to:
- transition into the agency market
- gain a holistic understanding of being an agent
- develop and improve your understanding of the regulations applicable to you
- advance your professional skills
There are no formal academic prerequisites for the programme, however some business experience and numerical proficiency are recommended.
Known for our outstanding contribution to the world of sport for over 60 years, Loughborough University's unique sporting environment brings together exceptional athletes, facilities, coaching and research expertise with extensive partnerships with major sports organisations. As a student on the Professional Certicate Programme for Sports Agents you will benefit directly from the expertise and sports industry connections that only Loughborough can offer.
The programme team is composed of some of the most experienced and prominent legal practitioners and serving professionals within the sport industry alongside the academic team of Loughborough University.
To kick-start your career as a sport agent or take your professional skills to the next level, please register your interest by completing and submitting the online form.
No payment is required until you have been accepted on to the programme.
The cost of the course includes 10 modules studied over 10 weeks at Loughborough University London.
Loughborough University Alumni
The next cohort will run from 31st January to 4th April 2019.