Dr Zhengyu Lin PhD
Senior Lecturer in Power Electronics
Dr Zhengyu Lin joined the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough University in May 2019 as a Senior Lecturer and works at the Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology (CREST). Prior to his current position, he had been with Aston University as a Lecturer for more than 5 years, and with UK industry for more than 6 years. He was a senior researcher with Sharp Laboratory of Europe, and a R&D engineer with Nidec Control Techniques.
March 2001 – July 2004, Ph.D., Power Electronics group, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, U.K.
Sep 1998 – Mar 2001, MSc. in Electronic Engineering Department, Zhejiang University, China.
Sep 1994 – Aug 1998, BSc. in Electronic Engineering Department, Zhejiang University, China.
2018 to 2021: EPSRC UKRI Innovation Fellowship
Dr Zhengyu Lin’s research interest is power electronics and its applications, which include renewable energy, energy storage, machine drives, and microgrids.
Grants and contracts:
2018 to 2021, EPSRC UKRI Innovation Fellowship, EP/S001662/1, Plug-and-play Low Voltage DC Microgrid for Cheap and Clean Energy, £517,364 (FEC £646,705), Key industrial project partners: Nidec Control Techniques, GridEdge, and ARUP, Principal Investigator
2018 to 2021, National Key R&D Program of China, 2017YFE0112400, Plug-and-play Operation Principle and Integration Application of Structured DC-Based Microgrid, 3.95m CNY (~500k Euros), EU partner leader
2018 to 2020, Innovate UK/TSB, TS/R017123/1, Vehicle to Grid Intelligent Control (VIGIL), £ 276,215, Key industrial project partners: Nortech, Bytesnap, co-Investigator
2017 to 2019, The Royal Society International Exchanges, IE161121, Research on Microgrid Optimised and Reliable Operation, £12,000, Principal Investigator
2017 to 2020, EU H2020 MSCA RISE 2016, Grant No. 734796, Research, Demonstration and Commercialization of DC Microgrid Technologies (RDC2MT), total project budgets 436,500 Euros, Coordinator (Principal Investigator)
2015 to 2016, The Royal Society Research Grant, RG140697, Novel power/communication converters network for DC microgrid, £14,000, Principal Investigator
2013 to 2014: Industrial project, Sharp Laboratories of Europe, Power Electronics for Solar Energy Storage System, £39k, Principal Investigator
- F. Li, Z. Lin, Z. Qian, J. Wu, and W. Jiang, ‘A Dual-Window DC Bus Interacting Method for DC Microgrids Hierarchical Control Scheme’, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, early access: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8645723
- M Alshareef, Z Lin, M Ma, and W Cao, ‘Accelerated Particle Swarm Optimization for Photovoltaic Maximum Power Point Tracking under Partial Shading Conditions’, 2019, Energies, vol. 12, no. 4, 623
- Y. Zhu, J. Wu, R. Wang, Z. Lin, and X. He, ‘Embedding Power Line Communication in Photovoltaic Optimizer by Modulating Data in Power Control Loop,’ IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 66, no. 5, 2019, pp. 3948-3958
- A. Triviño-cabrera, Z. Lin, and J. Aguado, 'Impact of Coil Misalignment in Data Transmission over the Inductive Link of an EV Wireless Charger', 2018, Energies, vol. 11, no. 3, 538
- R. Wang, J. Wu, Z. Qian, Z. Lin, and X. He, ‘A graph theory based energy routing algorithm in Energy Local Area Network (e-LAN)’, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 13, Dec 2017, pp. 3275-3285
- R. Wang, Z. Lin, J. Wu, J. Du, and X. He, ‘Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum based PWM Strategy for Harmonic Reduction and Communication’, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 6, June 2017, pp. 4455-4465
- J. Du, J. Wu, R. Wang, Z. Lin and X. He, ‘DC power line communication based on power/signal dual modulation in phase shift full bridge converters’, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 32, no. 1, January 2017, pp. 693-702
- J. Wu, J. C. Zhao, Z. Lin, et al., Wireless power and data transfer via a common inductive link using frequency division multiplexing, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 12, December 2015, pp. 7810-7820
- J. Wu, J. Du, Z. Lin, et al., ‘Power Conversion and Signal Transmission integration method based on dual modulation of DC-DC converters’, IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 2, February 2015, pp. 1291 – 1300
- F. Li, Z. Lin, W. Cao, A. Chen, and J. Wu, A Low-pass Filter Method to Suppress the Voltage Variations Caused by Introducing Droop Control in DC Microgrids, IEEE ECCE 2018, pp. 1151-1155
- M. Alshareef, and Z. Lin, A Modified Particle Swarm Optimization based Maximum Power Point Tracking for PV Systems, IEEE UPEC 2018
- E. Kalamaras, M. Belekoukia, Z. Lin, H. Wang, and J. Xuan, Assessment of a Hybrid Off-grid DC System for Combined Heat and Power Generation in Remote Islands, ICAE 2018
- F. Li, Z. Lin, Z. Qian, and J. Wu, Active DC bus signaling control method for coordinating multiple energy storage devices in DC microgrid, IEEE ICDCM 2017, pp. 221-226
- W. Jiang, J. Lu, F. Li, S. Hashimoto, and Z. Lin, A non-intrusive magnetic energy scavenger for renewable power generation state monitoring, IEEE ICRERA 2016
- F. Li, M. Alshareef, Z. Lin, and W Jiang, A modified MPPT algorithm with integrated active power control for PV-battery systems, IEEE ICRERA 2016
- Z. He, W. Cao, Z. Lin, and Y. Hu, High-step-up flyback-forward asymmetrical DC-DC converter for photovoltaic power system with active clamping circuit, IEEE ICRERA 2016
- W. Jiang, S. Xu, N. Li, Z. Lin, and B. Williams, 'Wireless power charger for light electric vehicles', IEEE PEDS 2015, pp. 562-566
- W. Jiang, S. Kan, N. Li, Z. Lin, BW Williams, S Hashimoto, 'Control integrated finite state machine design for photovoltaic module integrated converter', IEEE PEDS 2015
- Z Lin, J. Du, J. Wu, X. He, Novel communication method between power converters for DC micro-grid applications, IEEE ICDCM 2015, PP 92-96
External roles and appointments:
Senior member of IEEE
Member of IET, Chartered Engineer
Fellow of Higher Education Association (HEA), UK
Member of the EPSRC Peer Review College
Panel Member of EPSRC panel meeting in 2018
Member of IET Technical Committee TC2-4 DC Power Systems
Member of CIRED working group on DC DISTRIBUTION NETWORKS - WG 2019-1
Innovate UK (TSB) funding competitions assessor since 2013
Panel member of The British Council Researcher Links & Institutional Links initiative under the Newton Fund since 2014.
International conference technical committee members: ICDCM 2015, ICDCM 2017
International conference session chairs: ICRERA 2016, ICDCM 2017
External Ph.D examiner: University of Strathclyde and Newcastle University