Dr Russell Coggrave MEng PhD
Senior Research Associate - Optical Metrology
- Graduated from Loughborough University with MEng Hons in Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
- Research Associate in Sonar and Signal Processing Research Group at Loughborough University to investigate passive 3D tracking of sonar targets using hydrophone arrays.
- Research Associate in Optical Engineering Research Group at Loughborough University to develop a real-time temporal phase unwrapping processor based on pipeline image processing. Application to electronic speckle pattern interferometry (ESPI) for real-time measurement of surface displacement, and high-speed optical profilometry for 3D surface shape measurement.
- PhD awarded from Loughborough University in real-time optical metrology.
- Gatsby Fellow (Optical Engineering) at Loughborough University to develop business case and attract investment for commercialisation of high-speed optical 3D shape measurement technology.
- Joint Founding Director, Managing Director and later Chief Technology Officer of Phase Vision Ltd established to develop optical 3D shape measurement instruments for industrial metrology and provide associated consulting services.
- Senior Research Associate in Optical Engineering Research Group at Loughborough University. Develop synthetic aperture interferometer based on large array of NIR fibre optic sources and phase-locked compact digital holographic cameras. Develop a high-speed 3D metrology-grade robot vision system to enable robots to work in challenging dynamic environments. Evaluation of novel waveguide devices based on MZI optical switching for high-speed frequency scanning interferometry applications.
Outline of main research interests:
- Optical 3D shape measurement based on projected structured light and photogrammetry.
- Robot control, with particular emphasis on robot vision and industrial metrology applications.
- Electronic speckle pattern interferometry.
- Synthetic aperture interferometry and digital holography.
- Design and manufacture of diffractive optical elements (DOE).
- Real-time image processing and GPU acceleration.
- Waveguide inspection and evaluation.
Teaching support for the following modules:
- WSB300 Engineering Computation
- WSD902 Laser and Optical Measurements
- WSP102 Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry
- WSA508 Digital Drawing
- W Guo, CR Coggrave, JM Huntley, HG Dantanarayana, PD Ruiz ‘High-speed fringe projection for robot 3D vision system’ Optics and Photonics for Advanced Dimensional Metrology 113520F (2020).
- J Garcia-Armenta, PD Ruiz, JM Coupland, CR Coggrave, RJC Middleton ‘Coherent imager module with a large field of view for synthetic aperture interferometry applications’, Optics Express 28 (6), 8574-8588 (2020).
- J. Garcia-Armenta, P.D. Ruiz, C.R. Coggrave, I.S. Park, J. Coupland ‘High-NA lensless coherent imager as a building block for a synthetic aperture interferometry array’ Optical Measurement Systems for Industrial Inspection XI 1105607 (2019)
- I.S. Park, R.J.C. Middleton, C.R. Coggrave, P.D. Ruiz, J. M. Coupland, ‘Characterization of the Reference Wave in a Compact Digital Holographic Camera’ Applied Optics 57(1) A235-A241 (2018).
- Huddersfield University
- Sheffield University
- Bath University