Dr Raman Maiti BEng, MSc(Res), PhD, CEng, MIMechE
Lecturer in Healthcare Engineering
Raman’s interest lies in the field of the multidisciplinary topics of Healthcare Engineering. As an undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering from University of Mumbai, India, he developed an interest in the mechanics involved in the movement of body parts. It further led him to study for a postgraduate degree at the University of Sheffield, UK, with a specialisation in computational biomechanics. With in-depth learning of the basics of design (through ANSYS) and mechanics, well supplemented with research-based projects, Sheffield marked the transition of Raman’s interest in mechanics into a passion for research (through PhD) in bioengineering.
Raman’s PhD and first post-doctoral research position at the University of Leeds, UK have focussed on the kinematics and mechanics of human patella-femoral joint (hard tissue) funded by EPSRC International Doctoral Scheme. Following his tenure at the University of Leeds, Raman joined the University of Sheffield to understand the mechanical behaviour of soft (skin) tissue in 2014 using Optical Coherence Tomography. He was promoted to Senior Research fellow in 2017, employed for an EPSRC Programme Grant between Universities of Sheffield and Leeds and provided with a £50,000 PhD funding in understanding mechanics of the contact lens.
In 2020, Raman joined Loughborough University as a Lecturer, working on projects ranging from micro to macro scale. The objectives of each of the projects are to investigate patients’ comfort for better Health and Wellbeing using his expertise in experimental and computational methods.
- 2008 - 2012 UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, UK, Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering
- 2006 – 2007 UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD, UK, Master of Science (Research) in Mechanical Engineering
- 2001 - 2005 UNIVERSITY OF MUMBAI, INDIA, Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Chartered Engineer and Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Associate Member of INSIGNEO group for In-Silico medicine
- Patient-Specific design optimisation
- Multi-body and finite element modelling for damage and fracture prediction
- Surface interaction of medical devices
- Quantitative Optical Coherence Tomography in biomedical applications
- Biomechanical behaviour of cells and tissue
Applications of research interests in the field of Dermatology, Orthopaedics, Cardiovascular Medicine and Ophthalmology
Grants and contracts:
- 2019-2020 Consultancy project with Coloplast, Denmark “Investigate ostomy dressings interaction with skin”, £11405 (PI)
- 2018-2019 MDVSN Plus funding “Design of Patient test beds” £19898 (Co-PI)
- 2016-2018 Royal Academy of Engineering Newton fund in collaboration with National University of Mexico and DePuy Worldwide, UK “Right implant for Right patient”, £8000 + £3000 (PI)
- 2008-2012 EPSRC PhD studentship at the University of Leeds “Biotribology of artificial Patella femoral Joint”
Journal Articles (Selected)
- Lee, Z.S, Maiti, R., Carré, M.J., Lewis, R., (2020). “Morphology of human finger pad during sliding against a grooved plate - A pilot study” Biotribology, 21: 100114 (IF: 1.92)
- Maiti, R., Danby, S.G., Duan M., Lewis, R., Matcher, M.J., Carré, M.J.,(2019) “Morphological parametric mapping of 21 skin sites throughout the body using Optical Coherence Tomography” Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials, 102: 103501 (IF: 3.24).
- Watson, M., Christoforu, P., Maiti, R., et al., (2019) “An analysis of the quality of experimental design and reliability of results in tribology research” Wear, 426-427: 1712-1718 (IF: 2.94).
- Byers, R., Maiti, R., Danby, S.G., Pang, E.J., Mitchell, B., Cork, M.J., Lewis, R., Carré, M.J., Matcher, M.J., (2018) “Sub-clinical assessment of atopic dermatitis severity using angiographic optical coherence tomography” Biomedical Optics Express, 29: 2001-2017 (IF: 3.30).
- Liu, X.*, Maiti, R.*, Lu, Z.H., Carré, M.J., Matcher, S.J., Lewis, R., (2017) “New methods to quantify skin surface strain and sub-surface layer deformation of finger-pad during sliding” Biotribology, 12: 52-58 (IF: 1.92).
- Maiti, R., Cowie, R.M., Fisher, J., Jennings, L.M., (2017) “The influence of Mal-alignment and Ageing following Sterilisation by Gamma Irradiation in an Inert Atmosphere on the Wear of UHMWPE in Patella-femoral replacements”. Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineering Part H, 231: 095441191769611 (10.1177/0954411917696112) (IF: 1.12).
- Maiti, R., Gerhardt L-C., Lee Z.S., Byers R.A., Woods D., Sanz-Herrera J.A., Franklin S.E., Lewis R., Matcher S.J., Carré M.J., (2016) “In vivo measurement of skin surface strain and sub surface layer deformation induced by natural tissue stretching.” Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials, 62: 556-569 (IF: 3.24).
- Sole Author Paper - Maiti, R., (2016) “Computational Modelling of Patella Femoral Kinematics During Gait Cycle and Experimental Validation.” Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series C, DOI: 10.1007/s40032-016-0275-4.
- Maiti, R., Fisher, J., Rowley, L., Jennings, L.M., (2014) “The influence of kinematics conditions and design on the wear of patella-femoral replacements”. Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineering Part H, 228: 175-181, (IF: 1.12).
Conference Proceedings (Selected)
- Maiti, R., Wagner R., Sanchez, N.A.M., Ramirez-Reivich, A., Ellison, P., Perrault, C., Carré, M.J., Dwyer-Joyce, R., Neville, A., Lewis, R., “From Macroscopic to Microscopic: Experimental and Computational Methods to investigate Bio-Tribology” UK-Vietnam Workshop Proceedings, in print 2020.
- Maiti, R., Gerhardt, L.-C., Lee, Z.S., Franklin, S.E., Lewis, R., Matcher, S.J., Carré, M.J., “Quantification of Morphological Parameters of Forearm Skin Layers using OCT with Circumstances Involving Dressing Tape” BSSM 2017.
- Morecroft, R., Toomey, P., Goff, J.E., Mylon, P., Carré, M.J., Matcher, S.J., Lewis, R., Maiti, R., “Investigation into surface interaction between the contact lens and the upper eyelid margin using optical coherence tomography.” Submitted for SPIE Conference, Feb 2017.
- Byers, R., Maiti, R., Danby, S.G., Pang, E.J., Mitchell, B., Cork, M.J., Lewis, R., Carré, M.J., Matcher, M.J., “Characterizing the microcirculation of atopic dermatitis using angiographic optical coherence tomography.” Submitted to SPIE Conference, Feb 2017.
- Tasron, D., Maiti, R., Hemming, M., Lewis, R., Carré M.J., “Frictional Interaction between Running Soc Fabrics and Plantae Aspect of first Metatarsal Head in Different Moisture Conditions.” Procedia Engineering Dec 2016.
- Tasron, D., Maiti, R., Hemming, M., Lewis, R., Carré M.J., “Investigating a methodology to measure moisture in skin-textile friction experiments.” Footwear Science Jun 2015.
- University of Leeds
- University of Sheffield, UK
- University of Bergen, Norway
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, Assam, India
- National University of Mexico, Mexico
- Coloplast, Denmark
- DePuy Worldwide, Leeds, UK
External roles and appointments:
- Visiting academic at the University of Sheffield, UK
- PhD Supervisor (Secondary) at the University of Sheffield for Project in Eye-Contact lens interaction
- Past Chairman for South Yorkshire Young Members Panel for Institution of Mechanical Engineers