Dr Paul Sherratt BEng PhD CEng MIMechE MAPM
Senior Lecturer in Sports Technology
Professional / academic background
- 2013 – Present; Senior Lecturer, Sports Technology.
- 2011 - Present; Part-time study for MBA, Loughborough University.
- 2009 – 2012; Collaborative Product Manager, TWI Ltd (Cambridge, UK).
- 2002 – 2008; Practice Leader, Pera Innovation Ltd (Melton Mowbray, UK).
- 1999 – 2002; PhD in Composite Materials, Loughborough University.
- 1995 – 1999; Manufacturing sector (Renold and Johnson Controls).
- 1992 – 1995, BEng (Hons) in Engineering Science and Technology, Loughborough University.
Paul worked in the manufacturing sector upon graduation before returning to Loughborough to study for a PhD funded by JC Bamford Excavators Ltd. His thesis, entitled “Novel Forms of Inverse Analysis to Characterise Damage in Fibre-Matrix Composites” used speckle-shearing interferometry to assess residual strength of impacted composite booms. The research led to a composite telehandler boom design that was patented by JCB.
Before taking up an academic post in 2013, Paul worked in the commercial R&D sector in a variety of technical, managerial and commercial roles, developing skills and experience in new product development and innovation. He is also an expert evaluator for the European Commission on their Clean Sky and Aerospace programmes.
Paul is a member of the Sports Technology Research Group and an associate member of the Mechanics of Advanced Materials (MoAM) Research Group.
Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Broad interests and expertise
- Composite materials
- Materials in sport
- Injuries in sport, particularly head injuries
- Non-spherical balls
- Manufacture of sporting goods
- Gym and fitness equipment
- Innovation and new product development
- Sports Marketing
- Expert Evaluator – European Commission
- Referee for Conference of the International Sports Engineering Association and Journal of Applied Biomechanics
Current research activity
‘Novel assessment and characterisation of sports surfaces’, in conjunction with Dr.Paul Fleming and Labosport Ltd.
‘Design and fabrication of hollow structured nanofillers for sports footwear polymer materials’ funded by the Institute of Sports Research, Singapore.
‘Improving the performance of sports balls’ funded by the Institute of Sports Research, Singapore.