Dr Mohamed Diab PhD, MSc, BSc
Lecturer in Power Electronics
Mohamed Diab is a Lecturer in Power Electronics at the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering and works at the Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology (CREST). He has several years of experience in academic and industrial research in electrical power engineering. His research focuses on power electronics applications, energy conversion, and electrical machine drives.
Prior to his current position at Loughborough University, he has been with University of Bristol as a Research Associate for around 3 years and with Spiretronic as a Research Engineer for more than 3 years. He was a Visiting Researcher at Institute for Drive Systems and Power Electronics in Leibniz Universität Hannover and an Assistant Lecturer at Alexandria University and Glasgow Caledonian University.
2016 – 2019, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
Ph.D. in Electronic and Electrical Engineering (Power Electronics)
2012 – 2015, Alexandria University, Egypt
M.Sc. in Electrical Power Engineering
2007 – 2012, Alexandria University, Egypt
B.Sc. (Hons) in Electrical Power Engineering
International Publishing Excellence Award, Alexandria University, Egypt, 2015
Young Innovators’ Award (YIA), Egypt, 2012
Current Research Interests
- Power Electronics
- Wide-bandgap Devices
- Renewable Energy Integration
- Electric Machine Drives
- Electric Vehicles
Grants and Contracts
- 2019 – 2021 EPSRC – ‘Insulation Degradation and Lifetime of Inverter-fed Machines with Fast Switching Wide-bandgap Power Converters’, £1.2M, Role: Lead Researcher
- Research Pump-Priming 2021, University of Bristol – ‘Impact of PWM Voltage Waveforms on Winding Insulation Partial Discharge in Electrical Machines for More-Electric Aircrafts’, £5K, Role: Principal Investigator
- EPSRC CPE Researcher Exchange Grant 2018 – ‘Modular Multilevel Converters for Medium-Voltage Machine Drives’, £3K, Role: Visiting Researcher
- 21FYF254 - Introduction to Circuits and Electronics
- Mohamed Diab, Wenzhi Zhou,Chritopher Emersic, Xibo Yuan and Ian Cotton, “Impact of PWM Voltage Waveforms on Magnet Wire Insulation Partial Discharge in SiC-Based Motor Drives”, IEEE ACCESS 2021.
- Yipu Xu, Xibo Yuan, Fei Ye, Zihao Wang, Yonglei Zhang,Mohamed Diab, and Wenzhi Zhou, “Impact of High Switching Speed and High Switching Frequency of Wide-bandgap Motor Drives on Electric Machines”, IEEE ACCESS 2021.
- Mohamed Diab, Wenzhi Zhou, and Xibo Yuan,, “Evaluation of Topologies and Active Control Methods for Overvoltage Mitigation in SiC-Based Motor Drives”, Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2021 IEEE.
- Mohamed Diab and Xibo Yuan, “A Modular Quasi-Three-Level Voltage-Source Inverter using 10 kV SiC MOSFETs for Medium-Voltage Cable-Fed Adjustable-Speed Drives”, International Conference on Electrical and Electromechanical Energy Conversion (ECCE Asia), 2021 IEEE.
- Mohamed Diab and Xibo Yuan, “A Quasi-Three-Level PWM Scheme to Combat Motor Overvoltage in SiC-Based Single-Phase Drives”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2020.
- A. Elserougi, Mohamed Diab, A. M. Massoud, and S. Ahmed, “A Six-Arm Symmetrical Six-Phase Hybrid Modular Multilevel Converter with Unidirectional Current Full-Bridge Submodules”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics 2020.
- Mohamed Diab, A. Elserougi, A. M. Massoud, S. Ahmed, and Barry Williams, “A Hybrid Nine-Arm Modular Multilevel Converter for Medium-Voltage Six-Phase Machine Drives”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2019.
- Mohamed Diab, A. M. Massoud, S. Ahmed, and Barry Williams, “A Modular Multilevel Converter with Ripple-Power Decoupling Channels for Three-Phase MV Adjustable-Speed Drives”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2019.
- Mohamed Diab, A. M. Massoud, S. Ahmed, and Barry Williams, “A Dual Modular Multilevel Converter with High-Frequency Magnetic Links Between Sub-Modules for MV Open-End Stator Winding Machine Drives”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2018.
- Mohame Diab, A. Elserougi, A. S. Abdel-Khalik, A. M. Massoud, and S. Ahmed, “A Nine-Switch-Converter-Based Integrated Motor Drive and Battery Charger System for EVs Using Symmetrical Six-Phase Machines”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2016.
- A. Elserougi, Mohamed Diab, A. M. Massoud, A. S. Abdel-Khalik, and S. Ahmed, “A Switched PV Approach for Extracted Maximum Power Enhancement of PV Array during Partial Shading”, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 2015.
- Mohamed Diab, A. Elserougi, A. S. Abdel-Khalik, A. M. Massoud, and S. Ahmed, “A Pulse-Width Modulation Technique for High Voltage Gain Operation of Z-Source Inverters”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics 2015.
- Mohamed Diab, A. Elserougi, A. M. Massoud, A. S. Abdel-Khalik, and S. Ahmed, “A Four-Switch Three-Phase SEPIC-Based Inverter”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 2015.
- University of Bristol
- University of Sheffield
- University of Manchester
- Alexandria University
- Safran UK
- Siemens Gamesa
External Roles and appointments
- IEEE Senior Member
- Session Chair, ECCE Asia 2021
- Regular Reviewer for IEEE and IET Journals