Dr Ian Graham BEng DIS, PhD
Lecturer in Engineering Design
- BEng Product Design and PhD Evolutionary Design, both from Loughborough University.
- Previous Engineer-Designer-Manager roles in automotive (Toyota), portable electronics (GE), and architecture.
- Joined LU in 2006 as a Research Associate in the School of Civil and Building Engineering, moved to the Design School in 2007 as a Senior Research Associate then Enterprise Fellow, then to the Wolfson School in 2012.
- Co-Investigator and Project Manager, PREMANUS - Product Remanufacturing Service Systems
- Co-Investigator, DAR - Tools to Support Digital Restoration of Archaeological Artefacts
Coining the term ‘Interactive Optimisation’ to describe his specialism within the field of Humanised Computational Intelligence, he applies this approach to generative computer aided design, additive manufacturing for heritage restoration, and decision making within remanufacturing service systems.
- Generative Design, Interactive Evolutionary Design and Optimisation
- Remanufacturing (including Circular Economy & Product Service Systems)
- Additive Manufacturing and other digital technologies for cultural preservation
- Geometric Evolutionary Optimisation for Product and Engineering Design
- Optimising Additive Manufacturing for Fine Art Sculpture and Digital Restoration of Archaeological Artefacts , Virginia Fangjin Zhang (graduated July 2014)
- Academic liaison officer, LURSA (Loughborough University Research Staff Association)
- Athena Swan Wolfson School SAT (Self-Assessment Team) member
- Policy advisor to UK Government (Policy Connect) on remanufacturing, via the All-Party Parliamentary Sustainable Resource Group and All-Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group
- Invited speaker at:
- World Remanufacturing Summit 2015 (Amsterdam)
- World Remanufacturing Summit 2014 (Rochester, NY)
- Reviewer for:
- Journal of Remanufacturing
- Rapid Prototyping Journal
- International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology
- Programme committee:
- EvoINTERACTION - Evo* conference series 2009-2
- Best paper award, ‘Key Performance Indicators for Remanufacturing’, International Conference on Remanufacturing (ICoR) 2015
- Winner, International Impact, ‘Restoring China’s Cultural Heritage’, Loughborough University Enterprise Awards 2014
- MMA401 - Product Design Ergonomics and Visualisation (CAD modelling and rendering)
- MMB504 - Application of Product Design (Sagentia-sponsored design and make group project)
- MMA400 - Manufacturing Design (CAD modelling and drafting)
- MMC300 - Product Information Systems - Computer Aided Design
- MMP637 - Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
- MMC500 - Individual Projects