Professor Chris Backhouse BSc MSc PhD CEng FIMechE FIEE
Professor of Product Innovation
Associate Dean (Teaching)
Chair, School Learning and Teaching Committee
Head of Management Group
- Graduated in Engineering Science (BSc) Durham, 1975.
- MSc in Machines and Mechanisms, Liverpool Polytechnic, 1979.
- PhD (part time) in Spatial Differential Geometry from Liverpool Polytechnic jointly with Unilever Research Port Sunlight Laboratories, 1989.
- Design consultant Liverpool Polytechnic, 1980 - 1982.
- Scientist, Unilever Research, 1983 - 1990.
- Seconded full-time to Cambridge University Engineering Department, Manufacturing Group as Visiting Industrial Fellow, 1987 - 1989.
- Design Manager, Morris Cranes, 1990 - 1994.
- Senior Lecturer (joint appointment with Morris Cranes) Loughborough University, 1990 - 1994.
- Head of Dept of Manufacturing Engineering, 1995 - 1999.
- Director of Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, 1999 - 2001.
- Dean of Engineering, 2001 - 2007.
- Director of Internationalisation Strategy for the University, 2007 - 2012.
Research Interests and Activities
- Organisation structures in Manufacturing
- Operations Management
- Performance Measurement
- Supply Chains
- Guest Professor: Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Editor in Chief: Proceedings of the IMechE, Part E, Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Product Development
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Expert Reviewer: Research Council of Norway
- Non-Executive Director: Centre of Engineering and Manufacturing Excellence, Rainham, Essex, UK
- Member of East Midlands International Trade Forum (UKTI)
- IEE Manufacturing Divisional Premium 1998
- Emerald Literati Club Outstanding Paper Award 2000
- IMechE A.M.Strickland Prize 2006