Dr YauYau Tse BEng, PhD
Departmental Seminar Coordinator
Y.Y. Tse obtained her PhD degree for studying the recrystallisation texture of interstitial-free steels in Hong Kong. Since then she has worked as a research fellow in the nanotechnology field and on advanced structural materials in both France (University of Poitiers) and the UK (University of Birmingham). She has worked extensively on microstructural characterisation of defects and interfaces using electron beams. She began her current appointment in 2010.
- PhD (University of Hong Kong)
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society (FRMS)
- Croucher Foundation Fellowship
Outline of main research interests:
- Microstructure characterisation and microanalysis of advanced structural and functional materials
- Additive manufacturing of light metals
- Titanium alloy recycling using low temperature solid state consolidation method.
- Texture development of bulk metallic system and thin films
- Defect analysis of Photovoltaic and multilayer magnetic thin films
Grants and contracts:
- Aluminium Lattice Structure via Additive Manufacturing, TSB, 2013-2015
- Recycling of titanium alloys using back pressure assisted equal channel angular pressing, Loughborough University (EPSRC) Pilot Project, 2012-2013
Current teaching responsibilities:
- MPC120 – Vehicle and component design
- MPD101 – MEng group project work
- MPP244/322 – Metals processing and properties
- MPP242 – Microscopy
- C. Nageswaran, C. Carpentier and Y. Y. Tse, “Microstructural quantification, modelling and array ultrasonics to improve the inspection of austenitic welds” Insight - Journal of the British Institute of NDT, vol. 51, no. 12, p1 (2009).
- P.M. Suherman, Y.Y. Tse, T.J. Jackson, H. Bouyanfif, M. El Marssi, J.A. Hriljac, I.P. Jones, M.J. Lancaster, “Comparison of Structural, Microstructural, and Electrical Analysis of Barium Strontium Titanate Thin Films”, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105 , p. 061604 (2009).
- University of Birmingham
- University of Nottingham
- Axon Automotive
External roles and appointments:
- Royal Microscopy Society: Committee Member of Electron Microscopy Section
- Midlands Microanalysis Users Group: Regional Committee Member
- External examiner (PhD, EngD, MPhil): The University of Birmingham, The University of New South Wales