Dr Xujin Bao BSc, MEng, PhD
Senior Lecturer in Materials
Director of the Loughborough - China Materials Partnership Programme
Director of M.Sc Programme
Xujin obtained a BSc and MEng in Materials Science and Engineering at South China University of Technology, China in 1986. Then, he took up a post as a lecturer in Beijing University of Chemical Technology, working on area of polymer blends and composites. Xujin came to England in 1992 as a visiting scholar at Newcastle University for one year and completed a PhD in Materials Chemistry at University of Northumbria in 1997. He was then a Postdoctoral Researcher for four years in Brunel University, Loughborough University and Queen Mary University of London, on in-situ formation of silicon carbide nanocomposites derived from polymeric precursors. Xujin joined the Department of Materials at Loughborough University in 2000 as a Lecturer in 2000 and promoted to a Senior Lecturer in 2006. His research mainly focuses on Materials Chemistry, Energy Materials and Nanomaterials.
- BSc and MEng in Materials Science and Engineering (1986)
- PhD in Materials Chemistry (1997)
Outline of main research interests:
Focus on Materials Chemistry, Energy Materials and Nanomaterials including:
- Ceramic and ceramic composites derived from preceramic polymers
- Cold sintering of functional ceramics
- Bioceramic nanoparticles and bioceramic/polymer nanocomposites
- Hybrid composites and functional materials via novel synthetic methods
- Semiconducting ceramic nanoparticles and thin films
- Electrolyte polymer membranes for high temperature fuel cell applications.
- Clay/polymer nanocomposites for medical applications
- Nanocomposite conformal coatings for Tin whisker applications
- Preparation, processing and properties of solid-state Li battery materials
Grants and contracts:
- Designed Ceramic Nanocomposites for Advantaged Armor Performance; DSTL, 2018-2021
- Whisker mitigation II; EPSRC Enterprise Grand, 2018-2020
- Improving the whisker mitigation properties of polymeric conformal coatings - WHISKERMIT 2, EPSRC Enterprise Grand, 2014-20217
Current teaching responsibilities:
- Responsible examiner: MPB023: Experimentation; MPC012: Polymer Engineering - Processing and Manufacture; MPC114: Composite Materials; MPP565: Advanced Processing of Polymers; MPP565: Advanced Processing of Materials; MPP010: M.Sc Project
Current administrative responsibilities:
- Director of M.Sc Programme
- Director of LCMP Programme
- Year tutor for M.Sc Programme
- Administration tutor for LCMP Programme
Mascia, L., Kouparitsas, Y., Nocita, D., Bao, X. (2020) Antiplasticization of polymer materials: Structural aspects and effects on mechanical and diffusion-controlled properties. Polymers, 12(4). 10.3390/POLYM12040769
Zhang, X., Fu, X., Yang, S., Zhang, Y., Zhang, R., Hu, S., Bao, X., Zhao, F., Li, X., Liu, Q. (2019) Design of sepiolite-supported ionogel-embedded composite membranes without proton carrier wastage for wide-temperature-range operation of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 7(25). 10.1039/c9ta03666k
Zhang, X., Liu, Q., Xia, L., Huang, D., Fu, X., Zhang, R., Hu, S., Zhao, F., Li, X., Bao, X. (2019) Poly(2,5-benzimidazole)/sulfonated sepiolite composite membranes with low phosphoric acid doping levels for PEMFC applications in a wide temperature range. Journal of Membrane Science, 574. 10.1016/j.memsci.2018.12.085
Zhu, J., Deng, H., Zhu, B., Dong, W., Zhang, W., Li, J., Bao, X. (2017) Polymer-assistant ceramic nanocomposite materials for advanced fuel cell technologies. Ceramics International, 43(7). 10.1016/j.ceramint.2017.01.064
Liu, Q., Sun, Q., Ni, N., Luo, F., Zhang, R., Hu, S., Bao, X., Zhang, F., Zhao, F., Li, X. (2016) Novel octopus shaped organic–inorganic composite membranes for PEMFCs. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41(36). 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.05.078
Vrsaljko, D., Bao, X. (2016) Compatibilization of PUR/PVAC polymer blend by addition of calcium carbonate filler. Polymer Composites, 37(4). 10.1002/pc.23293
Ghanizadeh, S., Bao, X., Vaidhyanathan, B., Binner, J. (2014) Synthesis of nano α-alumina powders using hydrothermal and precipitation routes: A comparative study. Ceramics International, 40(1). 10.1016/j.ceramint.2013.07.011
- Pera Innovation Ltd.
- Rondol Technology Ltd.
- A/C Industries Ltd.
- Advanced Surface Polymer Ltd.
- Clinipart Ltd.
- Newcastle University
- Ningxia Rare Metal Institute
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Johnson Matthey Colour Technology
External roles and appointments:
- Member of EPSRC review panel
- Visiting Professor: National Engineering Research Centre of Special Metal Materials, China, Hubei University of Science and Technology, Zhengzhou University