Dr Ignacio Martin-Fabiani BSc, MSc, PhD
Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow
Dr Martin-Fabiani obtained both a Materials Physics BSc and an MSc on Polymer Science in Madrid, Spain. After that he embarked on a PhD on polymer nanostructures, having his PhD Viva at the end of 2013. Then he moved to the UK to join the University of Surrey where he spent two years and a half developing enviromentally friendly paints and coatings for a cleaner future. In 2016 he was awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s fellowship at Loughborough University, where he is working on antibacterial surfaces to stop the spread of antimicrobial resistance.
- 2016: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowship at Loughborough University
- 2016: Santander Mobility Award
- 2015: Award to the best PhD Thesis using synchrotron light in the year 2013/14 by the Spanish Synchrotron User Association (AUSE)
- 2013: Best Oral Communication Award (250 €) at the Young Researchers in Polymer Science conference, Cala Galdana, Spain.
Outline of main research interests:
- Self-assembly of multimodal colloidal blends
- Functional polymer and composite coatings (e.g antibacterial, self-cleaning)
- Use of X-ray and neutron scattering techniques to investigate the structure of colloidal and polymer films
- Measurement of mechanical properties at the nanoscale using atomic force microscopy
Current teaching responsibilities:
- Undergraduate project supervision
- Postgraduate project supervision
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Fortini, A.; Lesage de la Haye, J.; Koh, M.L.; Taylor, S.E.; Bourgeat-Lami, E.; Lansalot, M.; D'Agosto, F.; Sear, R.P; Keddie, J.L. pH-Switchable Stratification of Colloidal Coatings: Surfaces “On Demand”. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2016), 8, 34755–34761.
- Fortini, A.; Martín-Fabiani, I; Lesage de la Haye, J.; Dugas, P.Y.; Lansalot, M.; D’Agosto, F.; Bourgeat-Lami, E.; Keddie, J.L.; Sear, R.P. Dynamic Stratification in Drying Films of Colloidal Mixtures. Physical Review Letters (2016), 116, 118301.
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Rebollar, E.; García-Gutiérrez, M.C.; Rueda, D. R.; Castillejo, M; Ezquerra, T. A. Mapping the Structural Order of Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures in Thin Polymer Films by Microfocus Beam Grazing Incidence Small-Angle X‑ray Scattering. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2015), 7, 3162−3169.
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; García-Gutiérrez, M. C.; Rueda, D.R.; Linares, A.; Hernández, J. J.; Ezquerra, T. A.; Reynolds, M. Crystallization under one-dimensional confinement in alumina nanopores of Poly (trimethylene terephthalate) and its composites with Single Wall Carbon Nanotubes. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2013), 5, 5324–5329.
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Rebollar, E.; Pérez, S.; Rueda, D. R.; García-Gutiérrez, M.C.; Szymczyk, A.; Roslaniec, Z.; Castillejo, M; Ezquerra, T. A. Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures Nanofabricated on Poly (trimethylene terephthalate) Spin-Coated Films. Langmuir (2012), 28, 7938-7945.
- University of Surrey
- Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF)
- University of the Basque Country