Dr Martin-Fabiani obtained both a Materials Physics BSc and an MSc on Polymer Science in Madrid, Spain. After that he embarked on a PhD on polymer nanostructures, having his PhD Viva at the end of 2013. Then he moved to the UK to join the University of Surrey where he spent two years and a half developing environmentally friendly paints and coatings for a cleaner future. In 2016 he was awarded a Vice-Chancellor’s fellowship at Loughborough University, where his group is working on the new generation of functional coatings, including antibacterial and abrasion resistant surfaces.
2019:Exchange Lectureship Award by the Institute of Physics and the American Physical Society to represent the UK Polymer Physics Group with an invited talk at the APS Meeting 2019.
2016: Vice-Chancellor’s Research Fellowship at Loughborough University
2016: Santander Mobility Award
2015: Award to the best PhD Thesis using synchrotron light in the year 2013/14 by the Spanish Synchrotron User Association (AUSE)
2013: Best Oral Communication Award (250 €) at the Young Researchers in Polymer Science conference, Cala Galdana, Spain.
Outline of main research interests:
- Self-assembly of multimodal colloidal blends
- Functional polymer and composite coatings (e.g antibacterial, self-cleaning)
- Use of X-ray and neutron scattering techniques to investigate the structure of colloidal and polymer films
- Measurement of mechanical properties at the nanoscale using atomic force microscopy
Current teaching responsibilities:
- Undergraduate project supervision
- Postgraduate project supervision
- Robbins, A.B.; Drakopoulos, S.X.; Martin-Fabiani, I.; Ronca, S.; Minnich, A.J. Ballistic thermal phonons traversing nanocrystalline domains in oriented polyethylene, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2019, 201905492.
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Makepeace, D.K.; Richardson, G.L.; Lesage de la Haye, J.; Alba Venero, Diego.; Rogers, S.E.; D'Agosto, F.; Lansalot, M. ; Keddie, J.L. In Situ Monitoring of Latex Film Formation by Small-Angle Neutron Scattering: Evolving Distributions of Hydrophilic Stabilizers in Drying Colloidal Films. Langmuir (2019), 35, 3822−3831
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Lesage de la Haye, J.; Schulz, M.; Liu, Y.; Lee, M.; Duffy, B.; D'Agosto, F.; Lansalot, M.; Keddie, J.L. Enhanced Water Barrier Properties of Surfactant-Free Polymer Films Obtained by MacroRAFT-Mediated Emulsion Polymerization. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2018), 10, 11221-11232
- Fortini, A.; Martín-Fabiani, I; Lesage de la Haye, J.; Dugas, P.Y.; Lansalot, M.; D’Agosto, F.; Bourgeat-Lami, E.; Keddie, J.L.; Sear, R.P. Dynamic Stratification in Drying Films of Colloidal Mixtures. Physical Review Letters (2016), 116, 118301.
- Martín-Fabiani, I.; Rebollar, E.; García-Gutiérrez, M.C.; Rueda, D. R.; Castillejo, M; Ezquerra, T. A. Mapping the Structural Order of Laser-Induced Periodic Surface Structures in Thin Polymer Films by Microfocus Beam Grazing Incidence Small-Angle X‑ray Scattering. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2015), 7, 3162−3169.
- University of Surrey
- Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF)
- University of the Basque Country