Animation for Health and Wellbeing MA
- Entry requirements: 2:1 (or above)
- Year of entry: 2017
- Full-time: 1 year
- Location: Loughborough
- Part-time: 2 years
- School: Arts, English and Drama
This programme is aimed at students from a variety of disciplines eager to explore how animation can both facilitate and communicate models of health and wellbeing.
It is predicated on the view that animation is the most omnipresent, versatile and progressive moving image practice in the contemporary era, across platforms and across disciplines. This affords a range of opportunities for highly progressive and innovative work from a broad spectrum of backgrounds e.g. Criminology, Art, Psychology, Design, Education, Computing, English to name a few.
The Animation Academy at Loughborough University, is a world leading research group which in association with HEART EM at Loughborough University is an award winning research and enterprise group (Healing Education Animation Research Therapy, East Midlands) offers this innovative and pioneering post-graduate programme enabling students to explore and push the boundaries of animation in the public, private and charitable sectors.
Students will be given the opportunity to develop their own work in one of these areas:
- Using ‘The Good Hearts Model’ students will have the opportunity to learn about participatory animation and how it is used in the therapeutic, educational, criminological process, and applied to a topic of the student’s choice.
- Auto-therapeutic Animation provides a platform for personal expression, communication and self-exploration. Students will have the possibility to produce a personal short film based on a personal issue or cause, developing a process and film that empowers them or others by giving voice to their concerns.
- Assistive Animation technology, students will identify a pertinent issue in the wider social arena producing a publicly mediated outcome, allowing students to explore how animation, design and its processes can be used in an assistive way for services or impactful visual purpose e.g. educational apps, websites, health campaigns, exhibitions etc.
- The Animation Academy, in association with HEART EM, also stages an annual internationally attended APES event - the Animation and Public Engagement Symposium. Students will be able to engage with this event and the work of HEART EM. Additionally students will be able to access the Animation Academy Collection. The Animation Academy also publishes the Intellect journal, Animation Practice, Process and Production.
Once the online application procedure is completed, we will ask for a Project Proposal Form to be completed. The Project Proposal is requested as part of the initial assessment process and can only be accepted after you have applied via the Postgraduate Application Portal. For informal enquiries and advice before application please contact Melanie Hani
Important notice: Disclosing and Barring Service (DBS) checks
All prospective students will be subject to DBS checks and/or the equivalent overseas check(s) if they have spent time (normally more than 6 months) living overseas.
An honours degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent overseas qualification. Overseas qualification equivalencies can be found here.
All applicants for admission to Loughborough University must have a qualification in English Language before they can be admitted to any course or programme, whether their first language is English or not. Find out more here.
Assessment is continuous and based on an appraisal of practice, written material, related research, and professional and entrepreneurial skills in relation to the final project outcome(s).