Jabber is an instant messaging service and phone integration application that enables you to contact staff members at the University:
- Integrates with your desk phone
- Enables you to use your laptop as a phone (softphone mode)
- Can be used when working from home to message/call people at the University
- Use it as an instant messaging service
- Use it for a team chat or for having a permanent chat room for sharing ideas
- Links to your Outlook calendar to automatically update your presence status
- Automatically installed on Windows managed PCs, can be installed on non-managed machines
Download the latest Jabber installation files from:
Install “Cisco Jabber“ by opening the downloaded archive file and running the installation program CiscoJabberSetup.msi
Default options should be selected during the installations.
Run the “Cisco Jabber” program.
Enter your Loughborough University AD username and password, and click on “Sign In” to log into Jabber.
Selecting the “Automatic sign-in” checkbox will mean that Jabber will automatically try and sign in (using the previously specified username and password) when it starts.
By default, Jabber will not start automatically as part of the Windows startup process.
This can be changed by clicking on the button
Select “File”, “Options” and then “General” in Jabber. There is an option to “Start Cisco Jabber when my computer starts”.
Download the latest Jabber installation file from
Install “Cisco Jabber “ by extracting the program file from the downloaded archive
Default options should be selected during the installation.
Move the extracted “Cisco Jabber” program into the“Applications” folder.
Run the extracted “Cisco Jabber” program and accept the Cisco EULA when prompted.
- Softphone Mode: If your PC / Mac is equipped with a suitable webcam and microphone, you are able to use Jabber to make voice and video calls without the use of a handset. It is recommended you use headphones and a microphone. Please contact IT Services to enable softphone mode. Calls will be charged to your department as usual.
- Presence: Shows other users your status and if you are available to be contacted.
- Contact Lists and Contact Groups: You can add other users to contact lists in Jabber to see their presence status to contact them quickly. Contacts can be grouped together as required.
- Instant Messaging: Quickly send a message to one or more Jabber users at the University. You can also transfer documents.
- Voicemail: Access your voicemail messages directly from Jabber.
- Outlook Calendar Integration: Jabber links to your Outlook calendar to automatically update your presence status if you are in a meeting.
- Caller ID: The Caller ID will be displayed on your PC / Mac when your handset rings.
- Group Chats, Group Emails and Conference Calls: Quickly start instant messaging chats or conference calls with a group of Jabber contacts by selecting the contact group.
- Pesistent Chat Rooms: Allows users to have chat conversations with groups of other University staff members over a period of time, without the need for all participants to be logged into Jabber for the full duration of the chat conversation. Allows staff to drop in and out of conversations as often as they wish.
- Jabber for iPhone, iPad and Android: You can use your iPhone, iPad or Android devices with Jabber to make and receive calls as though you are using your desk phone. You will need to download the necessary apps. Please be aware - the Jabber apps are subject to application management by the device and may be hibernated without your knowledge. The client will be unable to receive calls or messages in this state. The app service will have to be enabled as required by the individual user. Please contact IT Services if you require the enabling of your extension number.
- Using Jabber Off-Campus: While working off-campus, you will still have access to Jabber to make calls as though you are using your desk phone, provided you have a suitable microphone. The services available will depend on the speed of the network. It is not necessary to connect to the University's VPN unless screen sharing and file transfer features are necessary.