Research your career
School of Social, Political and Geographical Sciences
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Deborah can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. She has weekly bookable 15 minute appointments in the Bridgeman Building that you can book on .
- Exploring your career options if you are unsure what to do via a careers consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a careers consultation.
- To book a careers consultation or mock interview, please call 01509 222 039.
Based in the Bridgeman Building, James can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. He has weekly bookable 15 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments that you can book on .
- James also sends you your weekly Geog Jobs & Events email that you can reply to with any questions.
Based in Room U2.16, Brockington Building, Sarah can support you with:
Finding, applying and for the administration of your placement within your department. You can email Sarah on email@example.com
Key skills developed during your degree
- Ability to think and work independently
- Critical thinking and interpretive skills
- ICT and group work skills
- Ability to communicate effectively written and verbally to develop and sustain an argument
- Research skills
- Numerical skills
Approximately 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines. The links below are specific to Geography, if you would like information on other career areas, please visit the career areas section of our website.
Careers directly related to your degree:
- Environment and sustainability
- Geographic information systems
- Nature conservation
- Planning (urban/rural)
Careers where degree would be useful:
- Logistics and supply chain
- Surveying (commercial/residential)
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Geography Department have several Postgraduate Taught Master's programmes you can apply to. You can also study for a research degree including a PhD (Post Honours Doctorate) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). Further information can be found on the Department webpages.
Further study elsewhere:
Some areas of interest include:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Geography graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2016…
- Main activity: 95.4% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only)
- Mean salary: £22,837 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only)
- Quality of employment: Of those in full time employment 88.9% were in professional level roles (UK & EU students) and of these:
- Sectors: 12.3% were in financial and insurance activities, 12.3% were in professional, scientific and technical activities, 12.3% were in education, 9.6% were in administrative and support service activities, 8.2% were in public administration and defence, 8.2% were in information and communication, 6.8% were in manufacturing, 6.8% were in arts, entertainment and recreation, 5.5% were in wholesale and retail trade cycles, 5.5% were in real estate activities, 4.1% were in construction, 2.7% were in transport and storage, 1.4% were in water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities, 1.4% were in electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply, 1.4% were in accommodation and food service activities, 1.4% were in other service activities
- Location: 43.1% were working in Greater London, 19.4% were in South East England, 12.5% were in the East of England, 6.9% were in the West Midlands, 5.6% were in South West England, 1.4% were in North West England, and 11.1% remained in the East Midlands.
Caxton FX, City of London Corporation, Heathrow Airport, Jaguar Land Rover, LOCAL GOV - Leicester City Council, Mars Chocolate, National Grid, Sky, Third Bridge, TUI.
Assistant Sport Development Officer, Commercial Analyst, Corporate Currency Consultant, Department Manager in Logistics, Insurance Supervisor, Lead Youth Development Recruitment Officer, Management Assistant, Research Analyst, Risk Modelling Analyst, Service Manager.
Further Study included:
MSc Construction Cost Management, MSc International Events Management, MSc International Financial and Political Relations, MSc International Sports Management, MSc Real Estate, MSc Spatial Planning and development, MSc Sustainable Urbanism, PGCE Secondary Geography, PhD Ecogeomorphology, PhD Human Geography.
Resources to research career areas
- Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- DLHE: Destination of Leavers of Higher Education Data
- Graduate profiles: What did students who studied your subject do
- Institute of Environmental Management
- PLOTR: Geography Related Careers
- Prospects: Options with a Geography Degree
- Royal Geographical Society
- Target jobs: What Can I Do With a Geography Degree
There are a number of videos available providing you with first-hand accounts of certain careers; including information on industries, sectors, job roles and tips on how to get into specific roles.
Some examples include:
For more videos please see:
Resources to find experience, placements and graduate jobs
- Each week you will receive the Geog Jobs & Events email which is created for you by Hemisha.
- The emails provides you with a combination of internships, placements, graduate roles and key work schemes such as work shadowing that you can apply for as well as employer events and presentations.
Organisations that have graduate schemes directly related to Geography:
- Anglian Water
- Mott Macdonald
- National Grid
- Severn Trent Water
- Tesco - have a property graduate scheme
- Transport for London
Geography specific websites:
- Ends Directory
- Geography Jobs
- Royal Geographical Society (acre jobs, countryside jobs, environment jobs, environmental jobs uk, green jobs)
For generic placement and graduate websites, please see our Find jobs and opportunities pages.