Research your career
School of Social, Political and Geographical Sciences
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Deborah can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. She has weekly bookable 15 minute appointments in the Bridgeman Building that you can book on .
- Exploring your career options if you are unsure what to do via a careers consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a careers consultation.
- To book a careers consultation or mock interview, please call 01509 222 039.
Based in the Bridgeman Building, James can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. He has weekly bookable 15 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments that you can book on .
- James also sends you your weekly Geog Jobs & Events email that you can reply to with any questions.
Based in Room U2.16, Brockington Building, Sarah can support you with:
Finding, applying and for the administration of your placement within your department. You can email Sarah on email@example.com
Key skills developed during your degree
- Ability to think and work independently
- Critical thinking and interpretive skills
- ICT and group work skills
- Ability to communicate effectively written and verbally to develop and sustain an argument
- Research skills
- Numerical skills
Approximately 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines. The links below are specific to Geography, if you would like information on other career areas, please visit the career areas section of our website.
Careers directly related to your degree:
- Environment and sustainability
- Geographic information systems
- Nature conservation
- Planning (urban/rural)
Careers where degree would be useful:
- Logistics and supply chain
- Surveying (commercial/residential)
- Remember 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
*You can also look at other course pages depending on other modules you have taken and/or are interested in*
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Geography Department have several Postgraduate Taught Master's programmes you can apply to. You can also study for a research degree including a PhD (Post Honours Doctorate) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). Further information can be found on the Department webpages.
Further study elsewhere:
Some areas of interest include:
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Geography graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
Main activity: 93% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
Mean salary: £21,254 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
Industry locations (professional level roles): 30% in the South East, 21% in London, 13% stayed in the East Midlands, 9% in the South West, 9% in the West Midlands, 6% in the East of England and 6% in Wales.
Industry sectors (professional level roles): 14% were in administrative and support service activities; 14% were in education; 14% were in professional, scientific and technical activities; 10% were in financial and insurance activities; 10% were in wholesale and retail trade; 8% were in public administration and 6% were in information and communication.
ASOS, Boots, Centrica Plc, Environment Agency, Essex and Sussex Water, GSK, Hitachi Capital, Legal and General Insurance, Local Government, M&S, Majestic Wine, Office for National Statistics and Southern Water
Accessories Product Manager, Assistant Cost Manager, Business Development Coordinator, Commercial Marketing Graduate, Communications Assistant, Environment Officer, Environmental Management Associate, Media Analyst, Planning and Enforcement Officer, Social Researcher, Technology Graduate
Further Study included:
MSc Management, MSc Economics and International Business, MSc Globalisation and Cities, MSc Marketing, PGCE Secondary Education, MSc Construction Project Management, MSc Environment Politics and Society
Resources to research career areas
- Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- DLHE: Destination of Leavers of Higher Education Data
- Graduate profiles: What did students who studied your subject do
- Institute of Environmental Management
- PLOTR: Geography Related Careers
- Prospects: Options with a Geography Degree
- Royal Geographical Society
- Target jobs: What Can I Do With a Geography Degree
There are a number of videos available providing you with first-hand accounts of certain careers; including information on industries, sectors, job roles and tips on how to get into specific roles.
Some examples include:
For more videos please see:
Resources to find experience, placements and graduate jobs
- Each week you will receive the Geog Jobs & Events email which is created for you by Hemisha.
- The emails provides you with a combination of internships, placements, graduate roles and key work schemes such as work shadowing that you can apply for as well as employer events and presentations.
Organisations that have graduate schemes directly related to Geography:
- Anglian Water
- Mott Macdonald
- National Grid
- Severn Trent Water
- Tesco - have a property graduate scheme
- Transport for London
Geography specific websites:
- Ends Directory
- Geography Jobs
- Royal Geographical Society (acre jobs, countryside jobs, environment jobs, environmental jobs uk, green jobs)
For generic placement and graduate websites, please see our Find jobs and opportunities pages.