Research your career
School of Science
Slides from our 2018 Graduate Entry Medicine presentation can be found on our Learn module.
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Sally can support you with:
- Using careers guidance to help you to explore your career options during 30 minute careers consultations.
- Answering quick queries during 15 minute Quick Advice careers appointments.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a consultation.
- My Loughborough Journey presentations and workshops within departments.
- Workshops on topics such as CVs and interview techniques.
Based in the Bridgeman building, Claire can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities. She has weekly bookable 15 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments that you can book on Careers Online.
- Claire also sends a regular “Science: Your Careers Update” email tailored to your school which you can feedback on or ask any questions.
Based in The Place in Stewart Mason, Rakhee can support you with:
• Finding, applying and setting up placements within your department. You can email Rakhee on Sciemail@example.com .
Based in the Bridgeman Building, and with primary responsibility for the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Gill supports Sally within the School of Science.
Dr Christian Dawson, Placement Tutor, and Judith Poulton, Placement Administrator
Based in the David Davies Building, Christian and Judith can help you with:
Key skills developed during your degree
- Leadership and communication
- Problem solving
- Project management
- Technology practice
Careers directly related to Computer Science:
- Applications Developer
- Games Developer
- Information Systems Manager
- IT Consultant
- IT Technical Support Officer
- Multimedia Programmer
- Network Engineer
- Secondary School Teacher
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Web Developer
Careers where your degree would be useful:
- Business Analyst
- IT sales consultant
- IT trainer
- Project Manager
- Technical Author
Further study at Loughborough University:
The School of Science offers MSc programmes which have been developed with input from UK and international organisations, ensuring their commercial relevance and equipping students with the practical skills sought by employers.
The School of Science also offers Research degree opportunities and continues to have a positive impact in such diverse areas as wireless communications, multimedia, logistics, healthcare, the emergency services, transport, surveillance and the environment, amongst others.
Further study elsewhere:
Popular areas of Further Study:
This is according to Loughborough University’s DLHE Statistics between 2011/12 – 2013/14:
- PhD - Computer science
- PhD - Digital Medical Imaging
- MSc - Banking and Financial Markets
- MSc - Mathematical Finance
- MSc - Advanced Computer Science
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Computer Science graduates do?
Six months after graduating in 2017…
For Computer Science
- Main activity: 94.5% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only)
- Mean salary: £29,953 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only)
- Sectors: 48% were working in Information and communication, 12% were in Financial and insurance activities, 12% were in Manufacturing, 6% were in Professional, scientific and technical activities, and 5% were in Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles.
- Location: 41% were working in London, 18% were in the South East, 12% were in the East of England, 9% were in the West Midlands, 8% were in the East Midlands, 4% were in the North West, 4% were in Yorkshire & the Humber, 3% were in Wales, and 1% were in the South West.
Arm LTD, ASOS, Atos, BAE Systems, BBC, GSK, IBM, Llamasoft, Ministry of Defence, Network Rail, PA Consulting, Severn Trent Water, Thales Group.
Cyber Security Analyst, Digital Marketing Executive, Graduate Bid and Project Manager, Insurance Underwriting Associate, IT Consultant, Learning & Development Coordinator, Management Consultant, Operations Analyst, Project Manager in Cyber Security, R&D Software Engineer, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Trainee Finance Adviser, Web Designer.
Further Study included:
Artificial Intelligence, MA Business Psychology, MSc Advanced Computer Science, MSc Advanced Computer Science, MSc Business Analytics, MSc Business Psychology, MSc Finance and Management, MSc Internet Computing and Network Security, Multi Engine Commercial Pilots Licence MCPL, PGCE – SCITT, PhD in Computer Science, Sound Engineering.
Resources to research career areas
- Computer Weekly
- Guru careers
- Inside Careers
- Prospects, information technology sector overview
- Prospects, options with your degree in computer science
- The Science Council - Working towards becoming a Registered Scientist
Search and talk to professionals working in related fields on Lboro Connect, our networking community exclusively for Loughborough University students and alumni.
Resources to find work experience, placements and graduate jobs
Students have the option of taking a year-long placement in industry which provides an invaluable opportunity to develop their professional and technical skills further. We will deliver talks in your department and offer one-to-one appointments to help you with the recruitment process for this. You will also receive regular “Science: Your Careers Update” emails from Claire. These will include graduate jobs, internships, placements, work experience and upcoming events tailored to your school.
Additionally, we advertise many opportunities for summer internships and encourage students to gain experience valuable in the workplace through extra-curricular activities such as volunteering, committee memberships, work-shadowing and part-time work.
- See Careers Online on our website for vacancies and opportunities and internally through your department
- Year In Industry – This organise can help match you to industrial placements. They are free to use for our students
- Search for internships, placements and graduate opportunities on Gradcracker
- Browse opportunities, career sectors, internships and careers advice on TargetJobs
- Search for graduate jobs on Prospects
- Ask in your department
Computer Science specific websites: