Frequently asked questions

Arrivals and vacations

How will I know when to arrive?

Your hall arrival date is listed on your accommodation contract. An email will be sent to all students who have completed their post-contractual requirements during September containing final arrival information. You will be asked to book an arrival slot as part of your online induction programme available from late August.

What if I am unable to arrive on the allocated date?

Please let us know so we can ensure that your room is held for you and arrangements are made for you to collect your keys. You are at risk of losing your room if you arrive late without prior notice.   

Can I arrive by car?

Car parking spaces are limited but we have organised time slots so your arrival can run as smoothly as possible.

You will be allocated a 30 minute slot to empty the car and there will be students on hand to help you. Due to the layout of the accommodation there will be a walk from the car to your room but there are trolleys for heavier items. Please aim to arrive during your booked arrival slot.

When you arrive at Loughborough look out for the RAC signs on major routes that direct you to the correct entrance. Once you are on campus you will be directed to where you can collect your room keys. Once your have your room keys you will directed to the dedicated unloading spaces.

Only one car per family will be allowed into the unloading zones. Second cars and/or vans will be directed to a car park and belongings brought back to halls via a removal service.

Once you have unloaded the car you will need to move to our long stay car park. 

What transport is available on campus?

There is a campus bus service running daily between the campus (via the town centre) to the train station every 10 minutes (Monday-Friday), until 00.20am. By foot it takes about 20 minutes to walk into town from campus. 

Can I bring my car?

Due to restricted parking spaces on campus, parking permits are not granted to first year students, or students who live close to the University. These restrictions do not apply to students with disabilities. Application forms for a parking permit are obtained from the Security Office +44(0)1509 223751

There is a planning control in force for students living in John Phillips, Hazlerigg Rutland, Robert Bakewell, Elvyn Richards and William Morris. Please refer to clause 21.13 of the Halls of Residence Licence Terms and Conditions for further information.

For general information about traffic and parking on campus, please visit our security pages.


Can I use my room during the vacations?

Self-catered halls:

  • You can stay in the room for the whole period of your contract including the Christmas and Easter vacations.
  • Postgraduate students are on a 50 week let and may stay in their room from September to September.

Catered halls:

  • Christmas vacation - rooms are available throughout the Vacation Period. There will be reduced catering provision during the vacation.
  • Easter Vacation - rooms are available throughout the Vacation Period (there will be reduced catering provision) with the exception of David Collett (D & E block, standard rooms only). Students in standard rooms in David Collett Hall are on a 35 week contract and must vacate and clear their rooms for the 4 week Easter vacation (no storage available in rooms).

What catering is available during Christmas and Easter vacations?

There is a reduced catering provision during both the Christmas and Easter Vacation periods. This is reflected in the accommodation fee.

There is no meal service during the University closure period at Christmas and Easter.

Please note: Elvyn Richards students are on a 31 week catering package - meals are provided during Term time only.

What if I want to stay in Loughborough during vacations?

Easter Vacation: Only students in David Collett (standard rooms only) need to vacate and empty their rooms for the full vacation period. If you need to stay on campus during this period you can book accommodation in the University Lodge. Please contact the Student Accommodation Centre for further information.

Summer Vacation: All accommodation will need to be vacated at the end of the Licence term. Vacation accommodation will be available for students wishing to stay. Please contact the Student Accommodation Centre for further information.

Vacation accommodation will be limited during the last two weeks of September. Please contact us or refer to our website for details of our University Lodge.