People in the department
Dr Yau Yau Tse
Industrial Placement (DIS) Coordinator
Departmental Seminar Coordinator
Tel: 01509 223221
Fax: 01509 223949
Y.Y. Tse obtained her PhD degree for studying the recrystallisation texture of interstitial-free steels in Hong Kong. Since then she has worked as a research fellow in the nanotechnology field and on advanced structural materials in both France (University of Poitiers) and the UK (University of Birmingham). She has worked extensively on microstructural characterisation of defects and interfaces using electron beams. She began her current appointment in 2010.
- PhD (University of Hong Kong)
- Croucher Foundation Fellowship
Current teaching responsibilities
- MPC120 – Vehicle and component design
- MPD101 – MEng group project work
- MPP244/322 – Metals processing and properties
- MPP242 – Microscopy
Outline of main research interests
- Microstructure characterisation and microanalysis of advanced structural and functional materials
- Additive manufacturing of light metals
- Titanium alloy recycling using low temperature solid state consolidation method.
- Texture development of bulk metallic system and thin films
- Simonelli, M., Tse, Y. Y., & Tuck, C. (2014). The Formation of α+β Microstructure in As-fabricated Selective Laser Melting of Ti-6Al-4V. Journal of Materials Research. (in press).
- Simonelli, M., Tse, Y. Y., & Tuck, C. (2014). On the texture formation of selective laser melted Ti-6Al-4V. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A: Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 45(6), 2863-2872. doi:10.1007/s11661-014-2218-0
- Tse, Y. Y., McMitchell, S. R. C., Jackson, T. J., Jones, I. P., & Genc, A. (2012). Line defects, planar defects and voids in SrTiO films grown on MgO by pulsed laser and pulsed laser interval deposition. Thin Solid Films, 520(9), 3440-3447. doi:10.1016/j.tsf.2011.12.033
- Simonelli, M., Tse, Y. Y., & Tuck, C. (2012). Microstructure of Ti-6Al-4V produced by selective laser melting. Journal of Physics, 371. doi:10.1088/1742-6596/371/1/012084
- C. Nageswaran, C. Carpentier and Y. Y. Tse, “Microstructural quantification, modelling and array ultrasonics to improve the inspection of austenitic welds” Insight - Journal of the British Institute of NDT, vol. 51, no. 12, p1 (2009).
- P.M. Suherman, Y.Y. Tse, T.J. Jackson, H. Bouyanfif, M. El Marssi, J.A. Hriljac, I.P. Jones, M.J. Lancaster, “Comparison of Structural, Microstructural, and Electrical Analysis of Barium Strontium Titanate Thin Films”, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105 , p. 061604 (2009).
Current and recent grants and contracts (with others)
- 2013-2015 Aluminium Lattice Structure via Additive Manufacturing, TSB, £13K
- 2012-2013 Recycling of titanium alloys using back pressure assisted equal channel angular pressing, Loughborough University (EPSRC) Pilot Project, £24k
- University of Birmingham
- University of Nottingham
- Axon Automotive
External roles and appointments
- Royal Microscopy Society: Committee Member of Electron Microscopy Section
- Midlands Microanalysis Users Group: Regional Committee Member
- External examiner (PhD, EngD, MPhil): The University of Birmingham, The University of New South Wales
Full list of publications