People in the department
Dr Simon Hogg
Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
Tel: 01509 223332
Fax: 01509 223949
Simon obtained his BEng from Sheffield Hallam University and PhD from The University of Sheffield, Department of Engineering Materials. He has held postdoctoral appointments at Sheffield University working on feasibility studies in semi-solid metal processing and Oxford University working on Al-Li alloys for airframe applications. Simon joined the Department of Materials as a lecturer in metallurgy in 2006.
- BEng, Sheffield Hallam
- PhD, Sheffield
- Associate Member IoM3
- Fellow Royal Microscopical Society
Current teaching responsibilities
- MMF500 Foundation Year Engineering
- MPB101 Processing and Structure of Metals and Ceramics
- MMB700 Sports Technology and Materials
- MPC014 Materials in Service
- MPP031 Automotive Materials - An Overview
- MPP131 Automotive Materials – An Overview
- MPP137 Overview of Packaging Materials
- MPP244 Metals: Processing and Properties
Current administrative responsibilities
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
- Member of Teaching and Learning committee (undergraduate)
- Member of Examination Scrutiny Committee
- Materials Engineering Social Society Staff Representative
Outline of main research interests
Focus is the use of advanced processing and characterisation to understand microstructural development and properties in complex, novel alloys. Presently the main focus of research includes:
Ultra high strength nano-quasicrystalline and nano-fibril alloys and composites.
Processing and characterisation of Al-Fe-Cr-Ti-(Nb) alloys and FCC-BCC metal-metal fibril composites produced using non-equilibrium processing.
Use of large central synchrotron and neutron facilities applied to metallurgical problems.
Use of x-ray synchrotron (diffraction and spectroscopy) and neutron based techniques to investigate surface and bulk microstructure and local chemical structure in novel alloys.
4 Journal papers have been published in the last 5 years:
- Hogg, S.C., Palmer, I.G., Thomas, L.G. and Grant, P.S., ''Processing, Microstructure and Property Aspects of a Spraycast Al-Mg-Li-Zr Alloy'', Acta Materialia, 55(6), 1st April 2007, 1885-1894, ISSN 13596454.
- Venning, L., Hogg, S.C., Sinclair, I. and Reed, P.A.S., ''Fatigue Crack Growth and Closure in Fine-Grained Aluminium Alloys'', Materials Science and Engineering: A, 428(1-2), 25th July 2006, 247-255, ISSN 09215093.
- Hogg, S.C., Lambourne, A., Ogilvy, A. and Grant, P.S., ''Microstructural
- Characterisation of Spray Formed Si-30Al for Thermal Management Applications'', Scripta Materialia, 55(1), 1st July 2006, 111-114, ISSN 13596462.
- Moore, K.L., Sykes, J.M., Hogg, S.C. and Gran, P.S, “Pitting corrosion of spray formed Al-Li-Mg alloys Corrosion Science, 50(11) Nov 2008 3221-.
Current and recent grants and contracts (with others)
- 2010-2010 Recyclable Ultra Light Mixed Material Automotive Platform, TSB via Oxford, £20k
- 2010-2014 Material Component Performance Driven Solutions for Long Term Efficiency Increase in Ultra Supercritical Power Plants £455.5k
- Oxford University
External roles and appointments
- Committee member East Midlands Materials Society
Full list of publications