People in the department
Dr Rebecca Higginson
Reader in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
Programme Director: Materials Engineering and Automotive Materials
BEng, PhD, FRMS, CSci, CEng, FIMMM, MInstP
Tel: 01509 223161
Fax: 01509 223949
Dr Rebecca Higginson graduated from The University College Swansea in 1992 winning the British Steel Travel Award for her practical work. She went on to study for her PhD at Birmingham University on the ‘The Effect of Small Second Phase Particles on the Recrystallisation and Grain Growth in Aluminium’ sponsored by Alcan. In 1995 she became a Post Doctoral Research Associate at Sheffield University working on the thermomechanical processing of stainless steels and aluminium alloys. Whilst at Sheffield she took a part time Postgraduate Diploma in Education. In 2001 she became a Lecturer in Metallurgy at Loughborough University, promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2007 and Reader in 2015.
- BEng 1992
- PhD 1995
- FRMS 2002, CSci 2005, CEng 2005, FIMMM 2006, MInstP 2008
- Awarded the IOM3 Cook/Ablett Award 2008
- Awarded the SAGA Best Paper Award 2011
Current teaching responsibilities
- MPA100 - Materials and Processing for Designers (IE)
- MPA103 - Introduction to Materials (IE)
- MPB103 - Materials Characterisation and Mechanics (IE)
- MPC101 - Recycling, Sustainability and Environmental Issues
- MPC110 - Project
- MPC113 - Design and Engineering Materials Project
- MPD110 - Masters Project
- MPD105 - Advanced Materials Dissertation
- MPP558/658 - Sustainable use of Materials
Current administrative responsibilities
- Programme Director Materials Engineering and Automotive Materials Courses
- Member of Departmental Management Advisory Team (MAT)
- Under 18s Coordinator
- Chair of Teaching & Learning Committee (UG)
- Member: Industrial Advisory Board
- Member: Staff Student Committee
Outline of main research interests
- Oxide Scale Formation and Characterisation
- Texture Development
- Precipitation effects in steels, stainless steels and aluminium alloys
- Strain Path
- Microscopy including: SEM, EBSD, TEM
- Laser material deposition
~30 Journal and refereed conference papers have been published in the last 5 years including:
Goffin, NJ, Higginson, RL, Tyrer, JR (2015) The use of holographic optical elements (HOE's) to investigate the use of a flat irradiance profile in the control of heat absorption in wire-fed laser cladding, JOURNAL OF MATERIALS PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY, 220, pp.191-201.
Green, G, Higginson, R, Hogg, S, Spindler, S, Hamm, C, Najorka, J (2015) Analysis of ferrite formed in 321 grade austenitic stainless steel, MATERIALS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 31(4), pp.418-425.
Green, G, Higginson, R, Hogg, S, Spindler, S, Hamm, C (2014) Evolution of sigma phase in 321 grade austenitic stainless steel parent and weld metal with duplex microstructure, MATERIALS SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 30(12), pp.1392-1398.
Ashworth, MA, Wilcox, GD, Higginson, RL, Heath, RJ, Liu, C (2014) An investigation into zinc diffusion and tin whisker growth for electroplated tin deposits on brass, Journal of Electronic Materials, 43(4), pp.1005-1016.
Bunyan, D, Ashworth, MA, Wilcox, GD, Higginson, RL, Heath, RJ, Liu, C (2013) Tin whisker growth from electroplated finishes - a review, Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing, 91(5), pp.249-259.
Gorman, DM, Higginson, RL, Thomson, RC, Du, H, McColvin, G, Fry, AT (2012) Microstructural Analysis of IN617 and IN625 Oxidised in the Presence of Steam for use in Ultra-Supercritical Power Plant, Oxidation of Metals, pp.1-14.
Jepson, MAE and Higginson, RL (2012) In situ observation of the oxidation of S32101 duplex stainless steel at 900°C, Corrosion Science, 59, pp.263-269.
Liu, J, Binner, J, Higginson, R (2012) Dry sliding wear behaviour of co-continuous ceramic foam/aluminium alloy interpenetrating composites produced by pressureless infiltration, Wear, 276–277, pp.94 - 104-94 - 104.
Johnson, K, Edmonds, HC, Higginson, RL, Harris, RA (2011) New discoveries in ultrasonic consolidation nano-structures using emerging analysis techniques, PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS PART L-JOURNAL OF MATERIALS-DESIGN AND APPLICATIONS, 225(L4), pp.277-287.
Current and recent grants and contracts (with others)
- 2013 - 2016 Prediction of Microstructural Evolution During Long Term Thermal Ageing of Type 321 - Type 347 Weldments, EDF, ~£74k
- 2015 - 2016 Inter-granular Stress Corrosion Cracking in Nickel Base Alloys, Rolls-Royce, ~£140k
- 2013 - 2016 Colouring of Stainless Steel, Rimex Metals, £50k
- 2011 - 2013 WHISKERMIT - Manufacturing and in-service tin whisker mitigation strategies for high value electronics, EPSRC, ~£456k
- 2010 - 2013 Prediction of Microstructural Evolution during Long Term Thermal Ageing of Austenitic Steels in Both Parent and Weld Metal, EDF, ~£74k
- Tata Steel
- The University of Sheffield
- Outokumpu Stainless Steel Research Foundation.
- ALSTOM Power Materials Research.
- Solidica Inc. USA
- RWE nPower
External roles and appointments
- EPSRC Peer Review Panel 2004-present;
- Member of the IOM3 Structure of Materials Committee formerly Chair 2005-2008
- Member of the Royal Microscopical Society Material Selection Committee formerly chair 2008-2015
- Council Member of Royal Microscopical Society 2013-2015
- Member of the IOM3 Bulk Metalforming Committee
- Member of the IOM3 Casting Division
Full list of publications