Dr Baihua Li
Senior Lecturer (PhD, MSc, BSc, PGCE, FHEA)
I am a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor)) in the Department of Computer Science, Loughborough University, research group Vision, Autonomous and Human-Computer Systems. I received a PhD degree in Computer Science from Aberystwyth University, and MSc and BSc degrees in Electronic Engineering from Tianjin University, China. Before joining Loughborough University, I worked at Manchester Metropolitan University.
Research: I have over 15 years track record on computer vision, pattern recognition, machine learning and image processing. I have relatively wide research interests. Primary research topics include human gesture and activity recognition, motion tracking, object recognition, wearable sensors, robot vision, medical image analysis and big data; advanced computer graphics, multimedia and computer games technology are secondary strands of my research.
Publication: More than 70 papers have been published in high impact journals and conferences, such as the most prestigious scientific journals in my research area: IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics, IEEE Trans. System, Man, Cybernetics, IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng., Pattern Recognition, Information Sciences, and IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. Selected publications
Enterprise: My research emphasizes innovations and novel applications of computer vision, pattern recognition and deep learning techniques for human motion analysis, human computer interaction, surveillance, ambient assisted living, machine vision and intelligent systems. I work with industry and research partners on a number of projects in these areas.
Grants: I contributed to a number of projects funded by EPSRC, NHS, Innovate Uk, TSB and industrial sponsored projects. Recent funding obtained (as PI & Co-I) includes four EPSRC and industry sponsored PhD projects (£450K), Agricultural Robot project funded by the Innovate UK (£388K, total £500k), EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund (£78K), and NHS England Regional Innovation Fund (total £130K) . These projects aim to develop novel algorithms and technology in AI, computer vision, deep learning, robotics and pattern recognition. The developed technology will help to solve a number of science and engineering challenges for machine understanding of human activity and behaviours, motion analysis in sports science, human computer interaction, surveillance system, assistive living and automation, embedding artificial intelligence in industry, agriculture and our daily life.
Research Expertise and Areas:
- Computer vision, pattern recognition
- Machine learning
- Deep learning
- Human posture and activity recognition from multimodality data
- Movement intention and musculoskeletal motion analysis in sports science and rehabilitation
- Human-computer interaction
- Robot vision and autonomous underwater vehicle
- Medical image processing, data-driven diagnosis of diseases
- Computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
- Big data, data mining
- Intelligent systems
- Time-series data modelling and real-time signal processing
- “Building Embedded Intelligence for Curiosity Driven Underwater Vehicle for Target Exploration”, EPSRC and industry (Witted Srl) sponsored project. PI, industry contribution £40k (total £117k). July 2018 – June 2022.
- “AI/Machine Learning based Algorithm and Software Development for Action Event Detection in Sports Videos”, EPSRC and Statmetrix sponsored project. PI, industry contribution £40k (total £117k). Jan. 2018 – Dec. 2021.
- “Remote Monitoring and Shared Decision Making for Upper Limb MSK Conditions Using MS Kinect”, NHS England Regional Innovation Fund (NHS-IHW-COLAB-2142). PI, £6k (total £130k, Central Manchester University Hospitals, MIRA Rehab Ltd. and LU). Jan. 2015 – Dec. 2017.
- “Hand-drawn Document Cognitive Systems”, EPSRC industry (Surface Intelligence) sponsored PhD studentship. £40k (total £117k). July 2018 – June 2022.
- “Autonomous Agricultural Robot System for Precision Spraying”, Innovate UK (1704 EE JIANGUK 104016-572268). Co-I, £387,886 (£126,370 to LU, total £500k from the Innovate UK and Ministry of Science and Technology, China), 2018 – 2020.
- “EMG-based Biofeedback to Improve Amputee Gait”, EPSRC National Productivity Investment Fund (EP/R512576/1). Co-I, £78,434. Oct. 2017 -Sept. 2021.
- “Supper Resolution Videos from High Resolution”, EPSRC and ARM sponsored PhD project (J15043). Co-I, £48k (total ~£125k), July 2016 - June 2020.
- “Developing Intelligent and Interactive HVAC Pipe Network”, Funder: Tata (£13k), School of Civil Engineering, School of Science. PhD studentship, April 2017- March 2021.
- “Virtual Reality Gaming to Improve Motor Control in Autism”, MIMIT-Manchester Integrating Medicine and Innovative Technology. Co-I, £24k. 2014-2015.
- “A Face Mask for Real-time Facial Motion Capture”, Technology Strategy Board, Co-I, £20k. 2009-2010.
- “Automatic Detection of Features in Retinal Images to Improve Diagnosis of Eye Diseases”, EPSRC, Co-supervision, £90k. Sept. 2012 – Aug. 2015.
- "Dance: UK"- a commercial game product was developed by this knowledge transfer project, Baihua Li (RA), Funder: Broadsword Interactive Ltd. The project has been widely reported by media, e.g. BBC, Independent, S4C, etc. 2003-2004.
- “Adaptive framework for a robust myoelectric control system”, PhD studentship, PI, Oct. 2015 -Sept. 2018.
- “Computerised Human Motion Measurement and Analysis for the Development of Home-based Automated Rehabilitation Assessment Tools”. PI, Funder:Knowledge Exchange & Innovation Fund MMU, NHS Lothian and Consard Ltd. Sept. 2012 – Sept. 2015.
- “Vision-based Object Detection, Tracking for Intelligent Human Computer Interaction”. one 3year PDRA, PI, MMU RAE Fund. 2012-2015.
- “3D Human Motion Tracking and Pose Estimation using Probabilistic Activity Models”, PI, Sept. 2006 – Aug. 2009.
Two PhD studentships in computer vision, deep learning and robotics are available at Loughborough University, Computer Science. International students can apply.
- Computer vision and deep learning for underwater vehicle navigation and control (1st March 2018)
- AI/machine learning based algorithm and software development for action event detection and football player analytics: Funded PhD studentship with StatMetrix (31st Jan. 2018)
PDRA recruitment: we are looking for postdoctoral Research Associates in the areas of computer vision, robot control, machine learning, deep learning and driverless vehicles. Please contact if you are interested.
CSC (China Scholarship Council) funding: Scholarships will be available for Chinese students starting PhD studies from October 2018. Loughborough University will provide full tuition fee scholarships to students who are in receipt of CSC funding.
Current PhD Students:
- Baao Xie. Movement intension recognition and prediction. PI, Jan. 2017 ~Dec. 2019.
- Chong Huang. Deep learning for vision-based human posture and activity recognition. PI. Oct. 2016 ~ Sept. 2019.
- Carl Robinson. Adaptive framework for a robust myoelectric control system. PI. Oct. 2015 – Sept. 2018.
- Hanna Mahmood. Text detection from natural images. PI. Oct. 2013 – Sept. 2018.
- Ye Lie. Statistical data mining for medical image data analysis. Co-I. Jan. 2017 ~. Dec. 2019.
- Zhao Gao. Supper resolution videos from high resolution. Co-I. July 2016 ~, June 2020.
- Vijay Srikandarajah. Developing intelligent and interactive HVAC pipe network. Co-I. April 2017~ March 2020.
- Natalie Egginton. Biofeedback for rehabilitation of lower-limb amputees. Co-I. Oct. 2017 ~ Sept. 2021, funded by EPSRC.
Successful PhD Completions:
- Dar'ya Guarnera. Image based surface reflectance remapping for consistent and tool independent material appearance. PI. Oct. 2013 -Sept. 2017.
- Yahya Al-Fadhili. Intelligent Computational Techniques and Virtual Environment for Understanding Cerebral Visual Impairment Patients. Oct. 2014 - Sept. 2017.
- John Darby. 3D Human Motion Tracking and Pose Estimation using Probabilistic Activity Models. PI. Sept 2006 – June 2010, MMU.
- Daniel Leightley, 3D Human Action Recognition and Motion Analysis using Selective Representations. PI. Sept. 2012~Dec. 2015 MMU.
- Choon-Ching Ng. Face Age Estimation using Wrinkles Patterns. Co-I. Sept 2012 - Oct. 2015, MMU.
- Muhammad Salman Haleem. Automatic detection of features in retinal images to improve diagnosis of eye disease. Co-I. Sept. 2011- May 2015 MMU.
Postgraduate project topics:
- Computer vision and pattern recognition
- Deep learning
- Face/gesture/activity recognition and behaviour understanding
- Robot vision
- Autonomous underwater vehicle
- Movement analysis in sports
- Movement intention recognition
- Quantitative assessment of motor control functions and diagnosis of diseases
- Medical image processing and data driven diagnosis
- Big data
- Intelligent systems
- Advanced computer graphics, virtual reality and visualization technology
PDRA (postdoctoral Research Associates):
- One new PDRA (13 months) funded by Innovate UK – AgriRobot, 2018~2020. (Co-I)
- Dr. John Darby. 3-year PDRA, Jan. 2011 ~ Dec. 2014. (PI)
- Server-side Programming (Module Leader)
- Team Project (Module Leader)
- Programming for WWW (Module Leader)
- Computer Games Programming and Design (M.Sc, Module Leader)
- Advanced 3D Modelling and Animation (Part C, Module Leader)
- Virtual 3D Environment (Part C, Module Leader)
- Multimedia Development (Part B, Module Leader)
- Foundation Computing (Part A, over 100 students, Module Leader)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of BMVA (British Machine Vision Association)
- Member of European Neural Network Society
- Member of EUCog (European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics)
- Member of ZEMCH (Zero-energy Mass Custom Home Network)
- Member of Society of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (AISB)
- IEEE Trans. on Cybernetics
- Pattern Recognition
- IEEE Trans. Industrial Informatics
- IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B
- IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Image and Vision Computing
- Journal of Applied Mathematics
- Journal IET Computer Vision
- Int. Conf. Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition & Image Processing
Conference Program Committee member:
- 10th Int. Symposium on Computer Science in Sport, 2015.
- IEEE SMC 2013
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2012
- Int. Conf. Digital Media and Digital Content Management (DMDCM) 2010
- Int. Conf. Face Behaviour and Interaction (FBI), 2009.
- Cybergames, 2007.
- 7th World Multi-Conf. Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 2003.
- 9th Int. Conf. Information Systems, Analysis & Synthesis, and Computer, Communication & Control Technologies. Florida USA, 2003.
- Academic: Carnegie Mellon University (US), University of Manchester, University of Reading, Tianjin University (China), Harvard Medical School - Boston (US), Jiangsu University (China), Aberystwyth University, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Westminster etc.
- Industry: Witted Srl (in Italy), Statmetrix Ltd, Innova Intregra, Guangyi Mechanical & Electrical Co. Ltd (China), Surface Intelligence Ltd., ARM, Zedsen Ltd, Quensus Ltd., MIRA Rehab Ltd., Optos Ltd. Scotland, Consard Ltd. Broadsword Interactive Ltd.
- NHS: Central Manchester University Hospitals, Bolton National Health Service Foundation Trust, East Midlands Academic Health Science Network, NHS Lothian.