Professor Simon Austin BSc PhD CEng MICE
Professor of Structural Engineering
Educated at Stamford School. BSc in Civil Engineering (1st Class) from Loughborough University of Technology . Doctoral research in fibre composites. Worked for Tarmac Construction and Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Partners before joining Loughborough University as a lecturer in 1984. Appointed to Chair in Structural Engineering in 1999.
Broad interests and expertise
Structural materials and Design, which grew out of my doctoral research in fibre reinforced composites and industrial experience as a structural engineer.
Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers; Consultant member of the Sprayed Concrete Association; Consultant member of the Association of Concrete Industrial Flooring Contractors
3D printing, sprayed concrete, fibre reinforced concrete, reinforcement corrosion and management, pre-cast systems, concrete slabs, concrete durability.
Project processes, process modelling, design management, integration of design and construction, value management, workspace design, collaborative working.
Recent and curent projects include:
- Managing value delivery in design
- Integrated Collaborative design
- Process protocol
- Mapping conceptual design of buildings
- Concrete industrial Floors - TR34
- Behaviour of concrete floors
- Wet process sprayed concrete
- Research environments for the knowledge economy
- Academic workspace
- Knowledge and information management through life
- Sustained competitiveness in the UK construction industry: a fresh perspective
- Adaptable Buildings
- SUE-MOT - Metrics, Models and Toolkits for Whole Life Sustainable Urban Development
- Concrete printing
- Health and Care Infrastructure Research and Innovation Centre
- Founder Director of Adept Management Limited;
- Member of BSI commitee MS/2 Project Management;
- Member of BSI commitee MS/4 Design Management Systems;
- Member of EFNARC Technical Committee Sprayed Concrete;
- Member of BSi Working Group B/517/WG10 - Sprayed Concrete;
- Member of CEN TC104/WG10 Sprayed concrete and TG3 - Test methods;
- Chair of the Concrete Society/ACIFC TR34 Design Group;
- Member and secretariat of CEN TC104/WG11 - Fibres for concrete;
- EPSRC College member, serving on SMART, IMI and LINK panels.
- Assessing the long term benefits of Impressed Current Cathodic Protection
- Applying a universal content and structure of values in construction management
- Conceptualizing stakeholder engagement in the context of sustainability and its assessment
- Hardened properties of high-performance printing concrete