Dr Mohamed Osmani BA(Hons), Dip. Arch., MSc, PhD, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Architecture and Sustainable Construction
Architectural Engineering & Design Management Programme Director
Mohamed is an architect with a PhD in sustainable building design. He is a Senior Lecturer in Architecture and Sustainable Construction and the Director of the Architectural Engineering & Design Management Programme.
Over the last 15 years, he has continued to make significant advances in the field of resource efficiency. He is known for his research and collaborative projects on circular economy, material resource efficiency, designing out waste, construction and demolition waste recovery and end of life asset and material optimisation. A concurrent stream of national and international work has developed new material resource efficiency and circularity approaches, strategies and models.
He is currently leading 3 national panels and 2 international expert groups. He is also a Member of 8 national committees and 6 international working groups. He has been invited to act as an Expert Peer Reviewer for 8 major international funding bodies in the UK, Europe, Asia and North America; Referee for 21 leading international journals (e.g. Cleaner Production; Waste Management); and Scientific Committee Member for 18 international conferences.
He has authored over 125 publications and developed a significant portfolio of research projects, winning in excess of £4 million of research funding from a range of UK, EU and international sponsors. He currently holds grants from the European Commission, EPSRC and industry; and supervises a range of doctoral and research funded projects covering circular economy; material resource efficiency; designing out waste; upcycling; end of life material optimisation; and sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
Mohamed is regularly invited to present keynote papers at both industrial and academia-focussed national and international events; delivered presentations as an Invited Speaker at 10 international conferences; and presented work at 60+ international conferences in over 30 countries across the world.
Broad interests and expertise
Sustainable design and construction. Circular Economy and Resource efficiency. Sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Life cycle sustainable design and construction issues associated with:
- Sustainable design and construction innovation, best practice and change management. .
- Applying the circular economy to the built environment.
- Material resource efficiency.
- Waste prevention; designing out waste; and end of life waste upcycling and optimisation.
- Low/zero energy building design, construction and retrofit..
- Impact of building information modelling, virtual prototyping and simulation on sustainable project performance.
National (UK) positions of responsibility:
- Panel Chair of BS 8895 Part 1 to 4: Code of Practice for Designing for Material Resource Efficiency in Building Projects. BS 8895 Parts 1 and 2 were published in 2013 and 2015 respectively. Part 3 is in progress (expected publication date: June 2018). Part 4 expected start: September 2018 (2012 - present).
- Chairman of the Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Sustainability Advisory Panel (2008-2013).The Panel, which is composed of Sustainability and Environment Managers of the major UK construction companies and public organisations, provides a focus on cross-cutting sustainability issues facing the UK construction industry with a particular emphasis on environmental management, waste minimisation and resource use
- Judging Panel Chair of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) yearly ‘Environment Excellent Awards’ for construction and demolition projects.
Member of National Expert Panels and Committees:
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College.
- Expert Member of the ‘Construction Waste Group of the UK Government Green Construction Board’, which was entrusted the responsibility to develop methodologies for assessing and monitoring the UK Strategy for Sustainable Construction landfill diversion targets.
- Technical Committee Member of the British Standards Institution (BSI) Committees: SDS/1 (Organizational Change in Sustainable Development) and SDS/3 (Sustainable Consumption and Production). SDS/1 and SDS/3 Technical Committees are responsible for proposals, planning, programming and the coordination of codes of practice and standards in the field of ‘Sustainable Development’ and ‘Material Resource Efficiency’ respectively.
- Panel Member of BS 8001:2017 (Framework for Implementing Circular Economy Principles in Organizations).
- Core Member of Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Programme Management Committee.
- Steering Committee Member of the Carbon Leaders Group (composed of industry sustainability managers) that aims to produce a series of briefings, each focussing on a particular aspect of the carbon agenda. These provide an independent and authoritative overview of a topic area, guiding organisations on the most appropriate course of action.
- Founding Member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. Four UK universities (Loughborough, Heriot-Watt, Sheffield and UCL) were selected by the Royal Academy of Engineering as Centres of Excellence with the remit to form a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in research and L&T for a more sustainable built environment.
International positions of responsibility
Peer Reviewer for International Funding Programmes:
- ‘Technology Foundation STW’ Dutch Funding Agency.
- Hong Kong ‘Environment and Conservation Fund’ (ECF).
- ‘Fonds de Recherche du Québec’ (FRQ) Quebec Funding Agency, Canada.
- ‘Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek’ (FWO) Research Foundation Flanders, Belgium.
- Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
Leader of international expert groups:
- Leader of ‘Construction and Demolition Task Group of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG)’.IWWG Official Journal: Waste Management (Impact Factor: 4.030; SNIP: 2.044).
- Leader of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Working Group on ‘Resource Potential of Construction and Demolition Waste’.
Member of International Expert Groups:
- Member of the ‘United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Expert Group on Anthropogenic Resources’. Its remit is the development of specifications and case studies for the application of the ‘United Nations Framework Classification for Resources (UNFC)’ in order to classify the recovery of secondary resources and the management of anthropogenic resources.
- Delegation Member of the ‘European Commission Circular Economy Missions’, led by Daniel Calleja, Director-General of the European Commission Directorate-General for the Environment, which is responsible for EU policy on the environment. The European Commission Circular Economy Missions are a series of high-level political and business meetings that aim to build bridges between European institutions, NGOs and companies and relevant government, industry and academic stakeholders across the world through business partnerships. The aim is to promote sustainable and resource-efficient policies and practices in order to facilitate the transition to a global circular economy.
- Core Member of the European Commission COST Action CA15115 Management Committee.
- Member of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG) Scientific Advisory Panel.
- Partner of the ‘Advances in Cleaner Production Network (ACPN)’, which is an international transdisciplinary community for the exchange and dissemination of research results in cleaner production. The Network Official Journal: Cleaner Production (Impact Factor: 5.715; SNIP: 2.382).
Editorial Board Member, Scientific Committee Member for International Conferences and Peer Reviewer for International Journals:
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Green Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Technology.
- Referee for 21 international journals including: Waste Management; Cleaner Production; and Automation in Construction.
- Scientific Committee Member for 18 international conferences, 5th International Conference on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing, 24-26 June 2018, Gold Coast, Australia; 4th Symposium on Urban Mining and Circular Economy, 21-23 May 2018, Bergamo, Italy; and 4th EurAsia Waste Management Symposium 2018, 2-4 May 2018, Istanbul, Turkey.