Dr Mohamed Osmani BA(Hons), Dip. Arch., MSc, PhD, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Architecture and Sustainable Construction
Architectural Engineering & Design Management Programme Director
Mohamed is an architect with a PhD in sustainable building design. He is a Senior Lecturer in Architecture and Sustainable Construction and the Director of the Architectural Engineering & Design Management Programme. He teaches on undergraduate programmes and post-graduate courses in the areas of architecture; sustainable building design & construction; and CAD modelling and rendering. Mohamed has developed a significant portfolio of research projects, winning over £3.5 million of research funding from a range of sponsors. He is currently supervising a range of doctoral and reserach funded projects covering circular economy; energy and material resource efficiency; designing out waste; upcycling; end of life material optimisation; and BIM-aided-sustainable project performance. Mohamed is regularly invited to present keynote papers at both industrial and academia-focussed national and international events and conferences. He has been a member of numerous committees and task groups including CIRIA Sustainability Advisory Panel; House of Lords Waste Enquiry; the UK Green Building Council Vision for Sustainable Built Environment; the Office of Government Commerce Construction and Refurbishment: Building a Future; British Standards Institution (BSi); the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM); and the International Waste Working Group (IWWG).
Broad interests and expertise
Sustainable design and construction. Circular Economy and Resource efficiency. Sustainable project performance improvement through innovation.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Life cycle sustainable design and construction issues associated with:
- Sustainable design and construction innovation, best practice and change management. .
- Applying the circular economy to the built environment.
- Material resource efficiency.
- Waste prevention; designing out waste; and end of life waste upcycling and optimisation.
- Low/zero energy building design, construction and retrofit..
- Impact of building information modelling, virtual prototyping and simulation on sustainable project performance.
- Member of EPSRC Peer Review College.
- Chair of a new suite of British Standards - BS 8895 Part 1 to 4: Code of Practice for Designing for Material Resource Efficiency in Building Projects.
- Member of BSI Built Envoronment Advisory Committee -C/B 10.
- Member of BSI Committee on Resource Efficiency and Circular Economy
- Chairman of the Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Sustainability Advisory Panel (2008-2013).
- Core Member of Construction Industry Research and Information Association (CIRIA) Programme Management Committee.
- Panel Member of the UK Government Strategic Forum for Construction Waste Group (part of the Green Construction Board), which was entrusted the responsibility to monitor the UK Strategy for Sustainable Construction target of Halving C, D & E Waste to Landfill.
- Steering Committee Member of the Carbon Leaders Group.
- Judging Panel Member of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) ‘Environment Excellent Awards’ for construction and demolition projects.
- External examiner in Architecture, Glamorgan University, Wales (2004-2010).
- Construction and Demolition Task Group Leader of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG).
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) of the International Waste Working Group (IWWG).
- Leader of the EU COST Action CA15115 Working Group on “Resource Potential of C&D Waste".
- Core member of the EU COST Action CA15115 Management Committee.
- Reviewer for Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
- Reviewer for Hong Kong Environment and Conservation Fund (ECF).
- Reviewer for the Technology Foundation STW Dutch Funding Agency.
- Reviewer for the Belgian Research Foundation: Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Vlaanderen (FWO).
- Reviewer for the Canadian Funding Agency: Fonds de Recherche du Quebec (FRQ) .
- Architectural Engineering Special Subject Advisor, British University in Egypt (BUE) .
- Referee for 21 international journals including: Waste Management; Cleaner Production and Automation in Construction.
- Scientific committee member for 18 international conferences.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Technology.
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Green Technology.