Professor Jon Mardaljevic BSc MPhil PhD FSLL
Professor of Building Daylight Modelling
- Professor of Building Daylight Modelling, Loughborough University 2012 -
- Reader in Daylight Modelling, IESD, De Montfort University 2008 - 2012
- Senior Research Fellow, IESD, De Montfort University 2002 - 2008
- Research Fellow, IESD, De Montfort University 1996 - 2002
- Research Fellow, Aberdeen University, Marine Laboratory, 1993 - 1996
- Research Fellow, Leicester Polytechnic 1990 - 1993
Broad interests and expertise
- Daylight modelling/simulation, climate-based daylight metrics, non-visual effects of light, solar access/microclimate.
- Fellow SLL (Society of Light and Lighting)
- Member CIBSE
- Member IES
Previous reserach projects
- Daylight exposure of artworks [National Trust, UK] 2012
- Non-visual effects of daylight [VELUX, Denmark] 2010 - 2011
- Climate-based daylight study for residential buildings [VELUX, Denmark] 2007 - 2008
- Design/evaluation of light redirecting ‘functional sculpture’ [Euro. Land & Property, UK] 2007
- Performance evaluation of Serraglaze material [Bending Light, UK] 2007
- UrbanBuzz: Design evaluation expert panel [DIUS] 2007 - 2008
- Three UK schools: Daylight study [Laing-O’Rourke] 2007
- Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg: Daylight study [Cannon-Brookes Lighting] 2006
- Art Students League, New York: Solar access study [Env. Simulation Center, New York] 2005
- New York Times Building: Daylighting study [LBNL, USA] 2004 - 2005
- Tamar Centre, Hong Kong: Solar study 2003
- Judson College, Chicago, Illinois: Library and design faculty, control strategy 2003 - 2005
- National Assembly of Wales: Solar study 2003
- National Association of Rooflight Manufacturers: Compliance with Part L study 2003
- University College London: School of Slavonic & East European Studies 2002 - 2003
- De Montfort University: Polhill Campus Library Resources Centre 1998
- Trafford Centre: Glare analysis of video wall installation 1997
- Australia Stadium Sydney Olympics: solar control and comfort 1997
- UK Principal Expert on Daylight for the European Committee for Standardisation CEN / TC 169 WG11
- Panel member revision of British Standard 8206: "Daylight in Buildings"
- Editorial Board for Lighting Research & Technology
- Editorial Board for Energy & Buildings
- Vice-chair CIBSE Daylight Group
- Reviewer for Lighting Research & Technology
- Reviewer for Energy & Buildings
- Reviewer for Solar Energy
- Reviewer for Building and Environment
- Reviewer for Building Research and Information
- Reviewer for Journal of Building Performance Simulation
- Reviewer for Renewable Energy
- A framework for predicting the non-visual effects of daylight - Part I: photobiology- based model
- Daylight metrics and energy savings
- Transmission illuminance proxy HDR imaging: A new technique to quantify luminous flux
- 2011 Lighting Award from the Society of Light and Lighting (awarded 29th May 2012).
- Best Conference Paper in Modelling and Simulation BSO12.
Invited / Sponsored Presentations:
- International Lighting Summit, Mumbai, India. 18-19 October, 2012.
- Saint-Gobain Daylighting Community Day, Paris, France. 27 June 2012.
- Nordic Light, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway, 19-21 April 2012.
- Professional Lighting Design Convention, Madrid, Spain 2011
- 10th International RADIANCE Workshop, LBNL, USA 2011
- Daylighting metrics for residential buildings. CIE 27th Session, Sun City, South Africa 2011
- 4th VELUX Daylight Symposium, Lausanne, Switzerland, 4 May 2011
- Light and Colour, Trondheim, Norway, 29 March 2011
- SEUS: Solar Energy at the Urban Scale, Workshop Universite de Technologie de Compiegne, France 25-26 May 2010.
- Professional Lighting Design Convention, Berlin, Germany 2009
- Tools and Metrics, Daylight Symposium, Rotterdam, Netherlands 2009
- Climate-based daylight study for residential buildings, VELUX HQ, Hørsholm, Denmark 2008
- Understanding Daylight: Education by Evaluation, Teaching in Architecture, Krems, Austria 2007
- Climate-Based Daylight Modelling, Daylight Symposium, Bilbao, Spain 2007
- The Energy Benefit of Advanced Facades:Electrochromic Glazing versus Photovoltaics, PolyU, 2006 Hong Kong, China
- The Quantification of Solar Access in Dense Urban Environments, PolyU, Hong Kong, China 2004