Dr Simon Wang PhD
Senior Lecturer in Applied and Computational Mechanics
- Post-doctoral researcher, Birmingham University, 1990 -1996.
- Lecturer, Loughborough University, 1996 – 2003.
- Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, 2003 - present
- PhD (Birmingham University and Tsinghua University), 1985 -1990.
Key Awards and accomplishments:
- Science, Engineering and Technology Award, 2009.
- Plenary Lecture on Delamination Propagation in Composites in ICCE16, 2008.
- Plenary Lecture on Fracture Mode Partition Theory in FEOFS, 2010.
- Plenary Lecture on Mixed Mode Delamination in Composites in ICCS16, 2011.
- Keynote Lecture on Impact Response of Composite Laminates in ICCES11, 2011.
- Invited Lecture on High-Supersonic/Hypersonic Flutter in the 39th AIAA Con., 1998.
- Invited Lecture on Dynamic Instability of Composite Shell Structures in ICCE8, 2001.
- Invited Lecture on the 2nd Part of Hilbert’s 16th Problem in the 4th WCNA, 2004.
- Invited Lecture on the Limit Cycles in Lienard Equation in ICNAAM, 2005.
- Invited Lecture on Mixed Mode Fracture in ICCE17, 2009.
Outline of main research interests:
- Fracture Mechanics Theory: From Quantum to Continuum.
- Fracture Mechanics Modelling: From Macro-Scale to Multi-Scale.
- Numerical Methods: From FEM to XFEM.
- Residual Stress: From Creation to Liberation.
- Buckling, post buckling, delamination, dynamic instability, aero-dynamic flutter, vibration, transient impact response and crashworthiness of advanced fibre reinforced composite plate and shell structures.
- Analysis and design of intelligent structures with imbedded piezo-electrical sensors and actuators.
- Vibration characteristics and noise radiation of power-train assembly in auto vehicles.
- Limit cycle oscillation and the second part of Hilbert's 16th problem.
- Mechanics of Materials and Light Weight Structures
Current teaching responsibilities:
- TTC053 Stress and Structural Analysis
- TTC068 Crashworthiness
- TTP402 Body Engineering
External roles and appointments:
- Chief editor of the World Journal of Engineering
- Editor of the International Journal of Engineering System Simulation and Modelling
- Member of scientific committee of ICCE.
- Concurrent Professor of Hebei University of Engineering