Working for Loughborough University

International applicants


Many staff relocating from overseas find temporary accommodation (e.g. in a hotel or bed and breakfast) initially as it is much easier to find accommodation once you have entered the UK. The University owns two hotels on or near to campus.

The University’s Student Accommodation Centre can provide advice and information to staff relocating to Loughborough and may (subject to availability) be able to provide short term temporary accommodation while you are house-hunting. Unfortunately they do not have accommodation suitable for couples or families, however. The team can be contacted by email or by telephone on 01509 274488.

For the longer term, you will have two options, depending on your circumstances. You can either let a property or you can buy one.

Letting (or renting) is where you enter into a contract with a landlord or company to live in a property in exchange for rent. When you let a property you are often subject to certain restrictions that limit what you can do to the property. These will be stated in the contract you sign, which is normally called a tenancy agreement, which is a legal document. When you start letting a property, you are usually required to pay a deposit equivalent to one month’s rent. 

Buying a property means that you become the owner of the property. Because of the cost of houses in the UK, many people apply for a mortgage from a bank or building society which enables them to borrow the money in order to purchase the property and then repay the loan over an extended period (usually a maximum of 25 years). If you are considering this option, you can seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser or from an estate agent.

The Student Accommodation Centre will be able to provide you with information about letting properties in the local area.

Whilst lots of our staff working at the Loughborough campus live locally in Loughborough or the surrounding villages, some staff choose to live slightly further afield in other parts of the East Midlands in the counties of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

For a full range of properties to buy and to rent in and around Loughborough and further afield, please visit the Rightmove website.

Details of local estate agents in Loughborough are available here. If you are looking to live slightly further afield, you may also be interested in estate agents in Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

The property website Zoopla has area guides for Loughborough, Leicester and Nottingham which you may find useful to find out more about living here. Please note that these links are to external websites and Loughborough University is not responsible for the content.