Travelling from London to Loughborough
Are you flying to an airport in London? Discover the best way to travel to our Loughborough campus from the London airports below.
Free coach pickup service
We run a free coach pickup service from Heathrow Airport. You do not need to fly to Heathrow to take advantage of this service, you merely need to book your seat on the coach and then you can travel from your airport to Terminal 3 at Heathrow Airport.
Travel by taxi
Pre-book a taxi from London to Loughborough
One option is to pre-book a taxi. This is a very expensive option and normally we would not recommend that you do this, unless you are travelling with a group. If you do decide to travel by taxi, we suggest that you pre-book a taxi, you can do this with several taxi firms in Loughborough who operate a special service between Loughborough and airports in London.
The cost is in the region of £150, payable by cash, and the driver will need to know your name, expected arrival time, flight details and country of departure at least two days beforehand. This may be particularly suitable if you are unable to use the free coach service and you are travelling in a group, either with friends or family.
Students are warned not to use any unregistered taxi service as, in the unexpected event of a road accident, you may not be eligible for compensation.
Travelling from Heathrow Airport in London to Loughborough
Trains from Kings Cross/St Pancras to Lougborough Station run regularly and typically this journey would take approximately 1 hour 30 minutes (depending on how many stops are made). On Sundays, trains are less frequent and slower.
- You can travel on the underground (Piccadilly Line) to London Kings Cross/St Pancras railway station. The journey takes approximately 1 hour. Alternatively, you can use the Heathrow Express from Heathrow Airport to travel into central London, arriving at Paddington train station.
- You will then need to take the underground - either Circle line or Hammersmith & City line east to Kings Cross/St Pancras railway station.
- When you get off the underground train, you will then walk about 5 minutes to St. Pancras main-line railway station.
This will involve carrying your luggage up and down escalators (moving staircases) or steps.
You can get a National Express coach at Heathrow Airport, which will take you directly to Loughborough University. This service departs every 2 hours and on average it takes around 4 hours and 20 minutes to travel here.
Travelling from Gatwick Airport London to Loughborough
If you are flying into Gatwick Airport, you can either get the underground to Heathrow Airport or you can travel by train or coach.
- From Gatwick Airport Station, take the Thameslink train (towards Bedford) to London St Pancras railway station.
- From there, East Midlands Trains run regularly to Loughborough Station and these journeys take around 1.5hours, depending on how many stops are made.
On Sundays, trains are less frequent and slower.
You can get a National Express coach at Gatwick Airport, which will take you to our Loughborough campus. There is one change, and the journey takes roughly 5 hours 30 minutes. If you are unsure what stop to get off at, please ask the driver.