Our Foundation Studies courses are well-established and taught by highly qualified staff, providing the fundamental skills needed to progress on to Loughborough degree courses. From day one students become members of the University, giving them full access to all the University facilities, support services, clubs and societies that Loughborough has to offer. Completing a foundation year can provide a real boost to overall degree success and excellent preparation for the transition into university life.
Students are required to achieve 105 credits with an overall average of 60%, with either 60% or 70% in specialist modules (pathway dependent), please check the programme regulations for your chosen pathway below.
For details of the progression criteria visit our programme specification pages and select 'Foundation' from the 'Study Level' filter to find the list of all our foundation year programmes.
Read more about our courses in the online Prospectus
You can apply to undertake any of the following courses with a foundation year:
- Aeronautical Engineering »
- Automotive Engineering »
- Bioengineering »
- Biological Sciences »
- Chemical Engineering »
- Chemistry »
- Civil Engineering and Architectural Engineering »
- Computer Science »
- Electronic, Electrical and Systems Engineering »
- Engineering Management »
- Geography »
- International Relations »
- Materials Engineering »
- Mathematics »
- Mechanical Engineering »
- Natural Sciences »
- Physics »
- Product Design Engineering »
- Product Design and Technology »
- Social Sciences »
- Sports Technology »
Students who are eligible for these courses include:
- Those wishing to study a degree without the appropriate background
- Students performing at a very high standard in a chosen sport, who wish to study at Loughborough, but do not have the required qualifications due to sporting commitments*
- Mature students returning to education
- Those who did not meet their expected entrance requirements due to illness or other adverse situations
- Students with alternative backgrounds and qualifications
International students should apply for our International Foundation Programme.
Applications are treated on a case by case basis and a number of other personal situations may also be considered. Please contact us for more information.
*If you think your sport profile qualifies you to be considered for the elite athletes programme, please contact email@example.com before applying.
The University also offers Art and Design Foundation Studies - successful completion of which leads to a UAL (University Arts London) Level 3 Diploma in Art and Design Foundation Studies, satisfying the entry requirements for progression to undergraduate courses in art and design.. Find out more in the undergraduate prospectus.