Loughborough welcomes mature students (those aged 21 and over at registration) for the wealth of life experience they bring to their studies.
Why become a mature student at Loughborough?
You may be seeking career development, or taking a 'second chance' to return to education to study something you have always been interested in.
Whatever your motivation, we recognise that the decision to return to learning after a gap is usually a big one and is the start of a new journey.
Choosing to go to university as a mature student will, for some, involve significant life changes. For this reason Loughborough University provides a wide range of support.
- Significant financial assistance is available for mature students
- Experienced and highly trained staff, familiar with helping mature students, are available in all of our Student Support Services
- Designated staff work in our Student Outreach and Recruitment team, to champion and organise events for mature students specifically
- Mature students have access to a specially reserved on-campus study space for mature and postgraduate students only
- Mature student buddying scheme (in selected schools and departments)
- Careers advisors experienced in assisting mature students
- For mature students with a family, the campus has a conveniently placed nursery beside the Students' Union
Opportunities to visit Loughborough campus include subject-based Taster Days specifically for mature applicants.
At the campus-wide Open Days in June and September, Loughborough’s mature champion offers a talk covering areas of key importance such as student finance, the programme of mature induction events, plus the opportunity to ask current mature students about their experience of Loughborough student life.
Loughborough offers a number of financial packages, known as the Loughborough Scholarship Programme, in the form of bursaries, accommodation discounts and tuition fee waivers. Eligible mature students could find the value of this is double that awarded to younger students.