Placements and work experience
Loughborough has a long history of supporting students with year-long paid work placements in a variety of roles and sectors in the UK or overseas, usually after your second year of study.
With every single one of our courses offering this opportunity, there's never been a better time to get ahead with enhancing your employability.
Students undertaking a placement gain enormously from the experience and typically, after completing their studies at university, are more likely to progress into high quality graduate employment. A professional year ‘in industry’ can provide opportunities to:
- earn a salary while you gain experience
- secure a job offer even before graduation
- gain awareness and skills, and boost your confidence
- develop a network of industry contacts
- strengthen your CV and improve your career prospects
- improve your academic grades after completing a placement
The University has excellent links with companies who are keen to recruit our students for placements and there is very good support available to help you find a suitable opportunity.
Comprehensive application and pre-placement guidance is provided by your school/department and the Careers Network.
If you are unable to take a placement year the University supports a range of other professional work experience options which will also help you gain work-related skills and strengthen your CV:
- Paid internships and vacation work experience
- Casual, part-time and vacation work
- Volunteering and participation in student societies
- Self-employment and enterprise
- Short-term work shadowing
Robert Mann's placement at Stanton
Undergraduate student, Robert Mann, talks about his placement opportunity with Andrew Fielding of Stanton Bonna Concrete.
Ajay Parmar's placement at Total UK
Undergraduate student, Ajay Parmar, talks about his placement opportunity with Paul Mannion of Total UK's Lindsey Oil Refinery.
Dominic Russell's placement
Undergraduate student, Dominic Russell talks about his placement opportunity with Mark Pagett of NISSAN Technical Centre Europe